• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure size

Fang_collector

Im new to the hobby and I've read advice from many people that a tarantula of 3 inches for example should be put into a tank 3 times its body length. I was wondering if there are downsides to moving a tarantula into a large enclosure early. Other than falling are there risks? I know with terrestrial the falling risk can be be lowered by using more substrate in some enclosures.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello friend,
Welcome to the hobby and this great forum.
What T are you trying to rehouse? How big is it and how big is the enclosure you are planning on using? For slings and small juveniles I personally prefer a smaller enclosure to be able to keep a better eye on them. I have close to 20 different sizes and shapes of terrariums, some bought and some made, depending on the T species, habits and sizes. It really depends on your species of T but larger is not always better with Ts, at least in my experience.
Hoping this helps, cheers.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The size of the enclosure isn’t important.(no walls in the wild) a small secure place to hide is required thou. Over exposure can cause a T stress and lead to other issues. The main reason many don’t use larger enclosures is because of space. You may also find that your T won’t wander around too much and choose to sit in 1 spot. If you see an enclosure you like thou there’s no reason not to get it. Adequate hide and your away :)

Phototoxin

The advice I was given is to have a surface area of 4x that of the spiders 'footprint'. 4x area is only 2x length and 2x width though. So if you have a 3 inch long , 4 inch wide spider you could look at a 6x8inch enclosure. I don't think the Tarantula would complain over an inch or two either way!

As mentioned above too big is not ideal and unlike cats they don't like to explore!

However even if it is a burrower a pre-made hide is always a good idea.

If it's burrowing type it would need deeper , more stable substrate and obviously if it's aboreal it needs vertically and things to climb.

FWIW I'm not super experienced and just regurgitating my knowledge and echoing the above advice though!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
DIGITAL MARKETING

With digitally gaining users by leaps and bounds, it has also become a platform for marketers to get the maximum audience for their advertisements. To address this dynamic advertisement system, marketers hire our professional digital marketing agency SDS WEBHOST, wherein our experts possess expert knowledge about how to make a mark in the evolving business environment.

ONLINE MARKETING SERVICES YOU CAN AVAIL AT SDS WEBHOST

There is a constant rise in the demand for digital marketing for companies to sell their products and services. Hence, companies providing digital marketing services come into picture here. Digital marketing requires expert knowledge as to how to leverage the digital platforms to the advertisers’ benefit which will help the product or service reach to maximum audience. Our Digital Marketing services include the following:

https://websitehost.today/services/digital-marketing
@Enn49 this sure looks like webhost doesn't own Ts :cool:

Latest posts