• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure question

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Hey guys I have a tarantula in a small plastic container who is about 3 inches maybe a little less I was thinking of moving him into a bigger container (kritter Keeper) so I can maintain heat a little bit better my house gets to about 64 or 63 degrees as the low. I have a mexican red knee tarantula spiderling. Here is the picture of the cage I was hoping to move him into as well as the spiderling. Thank you.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Kritter keepers suck for keeping heat.. But if its a small KK you should be good to keep your little guy in it.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you can move it. But you wont be able to hold heat in a KK as well as you can in the Deli cup/container its currently in. KKs have way to much ventilation. They don't hold heat or humidity at all.

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Hmmm well what are some of your guys suggestions? I have that container he is currently in seen above on a heat pad that has some towels on the top of the heat pad attached to a piece of glass to reduce the heat transfer to the tub so I dont burn my spider. I just feel that it still gets too hot so i was looking for a good temp gradient. Some people even say dont try and control the temp and room temp is fine but I dont know.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My guys do fine and it gets around 65 in my room at night, 70ish during the day. They are in the deli containers without an outside heat source.

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Its about that temp as well in my house maybe a bit colder but I was thinkin of sticking with room temperature instead of always messing with the heat haha

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Well actually I have been fiddling with it a bit and its starting to work out I guess im sure my little girl doesnt mind too much about the temp its runnin around and digging a little burrow and stuff im sure im not hurting it too bad with the heat haha thanks though guys reassurance is great!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't use any extra heat sources. Room temperatures have so far not caused any problems, even though it's the middle of Canadian winter. Temp range is usually 75 during the day and 65ish at night.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I have a heated section on my T shelf for my slings.. I like to keep them warmer, so they grow a little faster.. lol.
my entire shelf stays about 70-74 degrees, all day, but my heated section stays around 82 during the day, 75-78 during the night.

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
I like that idea Atx13 sounds expensive though haha and Bast that sounds cold! I live in Arizona and I think its cold haha but my house stays about 65 degrees and higher but most of the time lower like 64 or 63 but thats it possibly even 60 degrees. Keep my T sling on a heat pad thats been covered in 2 layers of towels to keep it off the extreme heat

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like that idea Atx13 sounds expensive though haha and Bast that sounds cold! I live in Arizona and I think its cold haha but my house stays about 65 degrees and higher but most of the time lower like 64 or 63 but thats it possibly even 60 degrees. Keep my T sling on a heat pad thats been covered in 2 layers of towels to keep it off the extreme heat

where in Az are you?

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Haha wow thats cool! What a small world! Gotta check out your T's sometime haha and by the way would you happen to know anything about speeding up your spiderlings growth? I heard some people feed there slings everyday to get them to grow and molt more often. Is this true? Is it not recommended?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haha wow thats cool! What a small world! Gotta check out your T's sometime haha and by the way would you happen to know anything about speeding up your spiderlings growth? I heard some people feed there slings everyday to get them to grow and molt more often. Is this true? Is it not recommended?

Heat. keep em warm, feed em twice a week. and you'll increase growth.