• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure lids

Chacoboy

Hello everyone,
Newer owner here, with a G Pulchripes sling. I have always had my enclosure with a few holes on the sides ( as shown below), but I have been hearing that you shouldn't have too many holes on the top for ventilation. I have an extra lid with no holes in it that I was using for something else, but I can easily switch the lids up. I always kept a bottlecap filled with water, so I figured that may have been enough humidity, but now I'm thinking I poked way too many holes in the top. She's been looking like she's ready to molt for a while, but I'm afraid now that I have been keeping it too dry for her to do so properly? Should I switch the lids and leave the new one without any holes, poke more holes on the sides and switch them, etc? I'm going to switch the lids for now just in case; thank you guys in advance!

The pictures are in order from:
- Current lid
- Side holes
- Current inside of the enclosure
- ButIsSheGonnaMolt.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0483.JPG
    DSC_0483.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0484.JPG
    DSC_0484.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0485.JPG
    DSC_0485.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0486.JPG
    DSC_0486.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 29

natebugman

3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
Newer owner here, with a G Pulchripes sling. I have always had my enclosure with a few holes on the sides ( as shown below), but I have been hearing that you shouldn't have too many holes on the top for ventilation. I have an extra lid with no holes in it that I was using for something else, but I can easily switch the lids up. I always kept a bottlecap filled with water, so I figured that may have been enough humidity, but now I'm thinking I poked way too many holes in the top. She's been looking like she's ready to molt for a while, but I'm afraid now that I have been keeping it too dry for her to do so properly? Should I switch the lids and leave the new one without any holes, poke more holes on the sides and switch them, etc? I'm going to switch the lids for now just in case; thank you guys in advance!

The pictures are in order from:
- Current lid
- Side holes
- Current inside of the enclosure
- ButIsSheGonnaMolt.jpg

Just fyi, external humidity is likely not a factor in molting success. Good hydration is much more important.