• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure in a smokers apartment

BossRoss

3 Year Member
So I live in an apartment and I do smoke, I am somewhat concerned about my smoking habits effecting my curly hair T?

I never smoke while handling my spider and try not smoke in the same room as her but with friends around the place can get pretty stuffy and I was wondering: how sensitive are Tarantulas to smell and my smoking habits?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is no definitive proof that the effects of cigarette smoke bad for tarantulas; but caution should prevail in this situation. But based on the passive respiration of tarantulas, and the fact that chemicals from cigarette smoke are heavier than air, your little friend ends up sitting in a toxic cesspool of carcinogens. The toxins will accumulate inside the enclosure, with no where to go, and you tarantulas book lungs will slowly absorb the toxins.
My recommendation:
Quit smoking, for your own health, and that of your pets.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Just keep your room/home well-ventilated and airy as much as possible so that it doesn't get stuffy inside. Indoor plants also absorb atmospheric toxins. There are also air purifiers available in the market today

BossRoss

3 Year Member
Just keep your room/home well-ventilated and airy as much as possible so that it doesn't get stuffy inside. Indoor plants also absorb atmospheric toxins. There are also air purifiers available in the market today

I have a couple of bonsai plants in my apartment. My windows are generally open with out climate it been South Africa. I might look into an air purifier thought. Thanks, didnt even think about that.

Jake (Cascade)

3 Year Member
To be honest with you, and if you are worried about your spider then go smoke outside at the end of the day it will be better for the spider.

But, then again, where is your spider located in relation to your smoking grounds?
And how much do you smoke?

entomology

3 Year Member
Jake dnt mean to "cut" I'm but smoking is bad for any tarantula as cigarettes posses toxins , pesticides, Rat poison and all sorts in it hence even a well ventilated room won't help rather smoke outside.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
I smoke about 10-15 cigs a day. My spider lives in my bedroom, which I never smoke in. I generally smoke in my lounge or kitchen. I try to keep her away from it as much as possible.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I don't mean to be rude or preachy, but if you're worried about the effects of cigarette smoke on your T, aren't you worried about its effects on you? The best solution for you and your T is to quit. I was a hardcore smoker, I know how addictive it is. 22 years ago I tried the patch and haven't smoked since. (Sermon over:rolleyes:)

BossRoss

3 Year Member
I am somewhat more hardy than my T!! ;) But all the care from all you wonderful peeps is hart touching :D:p he he!!

The thing is I have seen people smoke for years and come out alright...ish but I was unsure how it would effect a T.

I have experimented with other bugs and small creatures by enclosing them in a small container and exposing them to different kinds of smoke to see the effect(not recently but just over the years). Some creatures die almost instantly and some you can see it bugs them by their dramatic reactions and some seen unphased. But after learning more about the anatomy of a T one can deduce that exposing them to cigarette smoke would have a fairly large impact on their life span.

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Not too be rude but most people that smoke look like a dried up prune they look so old! Also who wants black dark lungs !!! Ick that's just so disgusting I rather drink then smoke!!

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
@Tara Russell you don't always know people's life situations... I agree it's a nasty habit but if you're going to state your opinion I think everyone would appreciate it if you did it kindly, or didn't say it at all.

Latest posts