• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure for Harpactira pulchripes

PeZi

3 Year Member
Hallo, please, what do you think about this as an enclosure for Harpactira pulchripes? The base is 33 x 45 cm, height about 25 cm, so there is from 10 to 18 cm of substrate (peat mixed with lignocel). There is a hole in the middle. Thank you.

Attachments

• HP_enclosure_small.jpg
    HP_enclosure_small.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 125

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's certainly large enough. H pulchripes isn't a bird eater, probably just 5 to 6 inches max size for females with males being smaller.

A 5 gallon tank would be just fine.

Can this spider live in that enclosure? Probably yes.

If feeders avoid the burrow and go uneaten, just put a bottle cap about 1 or 2 inches away from the burrow entrance. Put roach or cricket chow into the cap. That will focus feeder activity near the burrow where the T will be waiting.

Last edited:

PeZi

3 Year Member
Hallo, thank you. Yes, T will be ok there, but I wanted to prepare similar biotop as in wild nature. Unfortunatelly, I have found not too much photos, so I only guess how could it looks :-(

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just have a sling for this one. This is how I did mine. Also will show how I did my M balfouri as well.
Hp cage 1.jpg

M balfouri Maxine redo 1.jpg

It's a crappy picture but you get the idea.
Maxine out 4.jpg

And lastly H pulchripes. Her name (unsexed technically) is Hybris. Check Greek mythology. I won't bore anyone here with that.

H pulchripes molt 2-10-18 4.jpg
H pulchripes Hybris 3-1-18.jpg

One thing I personally do is to always have a completely clear cage that's as transparent as possible. Many other people don't, but I think that there is a safety factor as well as artistic merit/displaying etc.

I like to know exactly where they are before feeding or doing anything else for that matter.

PeZi

3 Year Member
Yes, your enclosure can be ok for tarantula, but it has nothing to do with copy of their real habitat, for example, I doubt that they have green artificial plants at South Africa. For growing tank ok, but for biotop enclosure not. I think they live in conditions similar to gps -32.7614236, 23.7461697, also, check precipitation and temp. Plants like Ivy are something terrible it their enclosure...

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Any aesthetics would purely be for your pleasure. The T couldn't care less either way especially if CB.
Think about it, if you were born in Australia to Australian parents then adopted to American parents and moved to California at two months of age, do you think you would have an Australian accent when grown? Nope, you become your environment, you adapt..

PeZi

3 Year Member
Yes, you are absolutelly righ. But the question here is not "Will T likes it?", but I am trying to create biotops enclosures. Not only temp or humidity, but also enviroment, like if you would build eclosure around their hole in narure and took it at home :) I have many T´s, no problem, box with a bit of substrate is suitable for 95 percent of T´s, but to my living room I want several enclosures which are "copy" of their real habitat :) I would say it is very similar to aquascaping :)