• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure for an arboreal sling

Nunua

3 Year Member
Since I've been throwing all my questions to @Enn49 so far, I decided to finally post an actual thread :oops:

So, I ordered a small bunch of slings that should arrive next week and if nothing goes wrong, at least one of them will be an arboreal. I've been on sick leave this week, so I've had plenty of time to prep the enclosures.
I already showed my arboreal enclosure to Enn, who kindly said that it'll work fine but reminded me about that the arboreal slings may sit in the cap. Well, I then created a pretty ugly little thing (thanks to the duct tape :D ) and was wondering would it work to prevent bolting out when opening the enclosure?

On the left is my original enclosure that also Enn has seen. On the right is my ugly little thing.
68321d283a.png

Here is the photo of the right one open
2f34d4e600.png

They both have the same set up. Coco fiber, piece of cork bark, piece of silk plant, and a used + washed blister pack from pain killer package.

Now I just need to decide which one to go with? Hmm...

Last edited:

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
As long as the duct tape holds its stick and as long as the spider isn’t exposed to the sticky side of the tape at all when closed I’d say it’ll work at least temporarily. I’d be worried the tale would eventually lose its stick though and since I’m not in Europe I can’t give you any better options... good luck!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The screw top lids can injure a T when closing especially one that goes up when it's disturbed. They are also opaque which means you might open the lid and remove the T with it.

The tarantula keepers guide has one like yours with the lid upside down with no substrate at all and the cork bark and hide suspended from the top or side.

One option instead of cutting the cage in half would be to add a feeding port, easy if it's plastic.

Here's 2 of my arboreal enclosures, one with my pokie and the other one empty with a cork feeding port.

P striatta privacy screen Patrick.jpg
Drat same size 2.jpg

What you have with tape will work but you could also install a hinge on one side and a retainer of some type on the other such as Velcro or 2 small screws and an S hook or whatever.

Greater visibility is the reward.

He has some good ideas.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've got over 40 arboreals with screw top lids...never had a problem. Just make sure your cork bark or plants are down far enough they wont web up high. If they do tear the webbing down right away. They will soon stop webbing up high. Also a few air holes in the top help out to get ones that are sitting on the lid...just give it a blow and the head on down.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Deadly tarantula girl said that screw top lids did that in one of her versicolor sling husbandry videos, trapping the legs.

Until I heard that, I thought they would get out of the way.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've got over 40 arboreals with screw top lids...never had a problem. Just make sure your cork bark or plants are down far enough they wont web up high. If they do tear the webbing down right away. They will soon stop webbing up high. Also a few air holes in the top help out to get ones that are sitting on the lid...just give it a blow and the head on down.
Good idea with blowing through the air holes, I've mostly just concentrated on putting them on the sides. My screw top enclosures have a twist and lock stacking mechanism so I hadn't worried too much about ventilation in the lid. I don't have any true arboreal species, but some have webbed onto the lids so it can be a worry.
I have clear lids but sometimes I have to wait for the sling to move it's legs away so I can finish screwing the lid on properly. One of the juvies actually spent four days in the post with its foot trapped in the screw thread and was very stressed, we thought it was dead until we freed it

Nunua

3 Year Member
Ohh, I have missed the messages here, duh.
But yeah, thanks for the tips guys! I decided to go with the unmodified jar with screw top lid - Mostly because I wasn't sure about the duct tape on the long run (it would've been perfectly fine for some time and there wouldn't be no possibilities for the sling to get stuck). At the moment C. versicolor sling has done its hammock on the level showed in the photo :) And like Enn said, I keep checking where the sling is and where does it move when screwing the lid - so far it always retreats behind the cork bark.

a31593ecc5.png

Latest posts