• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure for ~7cm aboreal

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I would like more aboreals however I am wary about whether I can house them properly currently, so I am trying to adapt a terrestrial enclosure by turning it on it's side. For an aboreal that is about 7cm (leg-span) do you think this 30cm high one would be appropriate, obviously decked out with cork bark etc? I know I will have to get a really big enclosure once it is fully grown and am looking at an exo terra glass one then, but finding an 'in-between' size in the meantime seems tricky. I am looking at Tapinauchenius juveniles at the moment, depending on what is in stock when I finally decide.

DSC07355 - Copy.JPG

DSC07356 - Copy.JPG

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi,

I would like more aboreals however I am wary about whether I can house them properly currently, so I am trying to adapt a terrestrial enclosure by turning it on it's side. For an aboreal that is about 7cm (leg-span) do you think this 30cm high one would be appropriate, obviously decked out with cork bark etc? I know I will have to get a really big enclosure once it is fully grown and am looking at an exo terra glass one then, but finding an 'in-between' size in the meantime seems tricky. I am looking at Tapinauchenius juveniles at the moment, depending on what is in stock when I finally decide.

View attachment 50454

View attachment 50457
Using something like that isn't a great idea-if you are wanting a decent sized enclosure you can use a quick and easy juvie home I'd recommend a braplast tub-you can put them on there end and use the door for easy access a tapinauchenius juvie will be fine in there :)
Screenshot_20201012_151754_com.android.chrome.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Apologies if the link doesn't work the company name is tropical factory UK in case you want to look them up :)

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Using something like that isn't a great idea-if you are wanting a decent sized enclosure you can use a quick and easy juvie home I'd recommend a braplast tub-you can put them on there end and use the door for easy access a tapinauchenius juvie will be fine in there :)
View attachment 50458

I do already have some of these braplast tubs spare. I have this 1.3 litre one and also a square 5.8 litre one. However I thought that aboreals needed a height that was at least 3 times their leg-span, so for a 7cm T, at least 21cm high? The 1.3 litre one is only 18cm high, but I am more concerned about the width being only 7cm, the size of the T and not much room to turn around?

Would this one be better if I put holes in it? > https://www.thespidershop.co.uk/braplast-p-1304.html#.X4Rqs8JKjIU

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do already have some of these braplast tubs spare. I have this 1.3 litre one and also a square 5.8 litre one. However I thought that aboreals needed a height that was at least 3 times their leg-span, so for a 7cm T, at least 21cm high? The 1.3 litre one is only 18cm high, but I am more concerned about the width being only 7cm, the size of the T and not much room to turn around?

Would this one be better if I put holes in it? > https://www.thespidershop.co.uk/braplast-p-1304.html#.X4Rqs8JKjIU
Yes that 5.8ltr one would be perfect :) I only suggested the other braplast as I know a lot of people use them for small arboreal juvies
Those 5.8ltrs give plenty of room we've got quite a few of them - don't be overly worried about what's recommended size wise I terms of height I can assure you those tubs give plenty of room for juvie arboreals and there cork /plants ect - we've raised lots of different species in them :)

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Yes that 5.8ltr one would be perfect :) I only suggested the other braplast as I know a lot of people use them for small arboreal juvies
Those 5.8ltrs give plenty of room we've got quite a few of them - don't be overly worried about what's recommended size wise I terms of height I can assure you those tubs give plenty of room for juvie arboreals and there cork /plants ect - we've raised lots of different species in them :)

Awesome thanks! :) And thanks for mentioning Tropical Factory UK - I hadn't heard of them before but may well use them in the future! Their set-ups look great and reasonably priced :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome thanks! :) And thanks for mentioning Tropical Factory UK - I hadn't heard of them before but may well use them in the future! Their set-ups look great and reasonably priced :)
No problem :) always happy to help :)