• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure and Humidity

JC1

3 Year Member
Good day fellow T enthusiasts!!! i have a 2 cm curly sling. i want to ask about the humidity. i use coco peat for bedding, moss for water, and a glass cage. i also have a twig and tree bark for the enclosure. The T seems to borrow deep under the bark, into the soil. is that okey? i dont see any humidity droplets inside the cage. its fairly dark, and i think the temperature is fairly warm. i do mist the moss now and again. is it a problem that the T is sitting in its borrow? it doesnt come up to drink water. the lid of the cage is a wooden lid with holes on top. hope the T is happy

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good day fellow T enthusiasts!!! i have a 2 cm curly sling. i want to ask about the humidity. i use coco peat for bedding, moss for water, and a glass cage. i also have a twig and tree bark for the enclosure. The T seems to borrow deep under the bark, into the soil. is that okey? i dont see any humidity droplets inside the cage. its fairly dark, and i think the temperature is fairly warm. i do mist the moss now and again. is it a problem that the T is sitting in its borrow? it doesnt come up to drink water. the lid of the cage is a wooden lid with holes on top. hope the T is happy
Lots of slings burrow at that size, 2 cm is around an inch, correct? If a sling burrows, it's happy. Just be careful not to over water the moss. The safest way is as Fleas and Entity stated, just put a bottle cap with fresh water in the cage. I only mist slings when they look to be in heavy premolt, and then only sparingly, but many people use the method you're using as well. Hope this helped, keep us updated on your slings progress, I always like hearing from new keepers :) Edit: cross ventilation is important if you're misting, you don't want mold or mites messing with the new baby :) Cheap plastic containers from the dollar store are very good sling enclosures, as they can be drilled for ventilation any way you please. The view may not be as great, but your sling is burrowing right now anyway:)

JC1

3 Year Member
Lots of slings burrow at that size, 2 cm is around an inch, correct? If a sling burrows, it's happy. Just be careful not to over water the moss. The safest way is as Fleas and Entity stated, just put a bottle cap with fresh water in the cage. I only mist slings when they look to be in heavy premolt, and then only sparingly, but many people use the method you're using as well. Hope this helped, keep us updated on your slings progress, I always like hearing from new keepers :) Edit: cross ventilation is important if you're misting, you don't want mold or mites messing with the new baby :) Cheap plastic containers from the dollar store are very good sling enclosures, as they can be drilled for ventilation any way you please. The view may not be as great, but your sling is burrowing right now anyway:)
Thanks mate! i wont mist anymore. i inserted a little water dish last night. not much water, but save to drink from, and to get that humidity going.. it now dug straight to the bottom of the cage, and its pretty deep. i gave it half a meal worm for dinner. it gladly accepted, and took a break from her excavations to sit back and enjoy the food. i think its burrowing sideways now... maybe trying to avoid ANY light from getting in.... i have to use a little head lamp (LED) to see what she or he is up to and to make sure it eats... its quite dark where the cage is sitting... hopefully the TV's light in our room doesn't disturb her too much.. I'll have to measure her. yeah, an inch is about 2 cm or so.. i think its a "mini"... its quite small.... im very delicate when i work in her cage not to disturb the T.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If u want to us a light. use red. spiders cant see red light. that will disturb her less.