• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Emilia vs Smithi...

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
So I am trying to weigh the pros and cons when it comes to owning Emilia's vs Smith's. What would be your opinion based on these things: * Temperament (less skittish)
* Amount of hair flicking
* Handleable type

Other Factors: Do I want a sling or juvies? I have the opportunity in purchasing either but the Emilia is .5" and the Smithi is 3" and also confirmed Female....

Please help me out friends ..... What do you think??

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
Humming! So far 11 views and no one will take the time to help out?
I thought the idea of posting a question was to get advice from other fellow spider lovers!!

PLEASE! If you have either of these species let me know your thoughts.. it is greatly appreciated.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Only you can decide which you really want but I'd say if you get the little emilia it will probably burrow to begin with but you get the pleasure of seeing it grow and gradually develop its adult colours, on the other hand if you get the smithi knowing it's female it could be with you longer and will always be on show.

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
Only you can decide which you really want but I'd say if you get the little emilia it will probably burrow to begin with but you get the pleasure of seeing it grow and gradually develop its adult colours, on the other hand if you get the smithi knowing it's female it could be with you longer and will always be on show.
Thanks for replying Enn49. I have heard that Emilia's are less likely to flick hairs but are little skittish than the Smithi's. Decisions...decisions!! I already have 3 other species that are slings and it would be nice to know you have a female. But are males really all the bad or different to have?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Males are no different to keep but once matured they don't live so long. As far as temperment goes, I can't really help as our emilia is still just a sling so I can't compare.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't have a Smithi, (sorry about missing this my new post notifications are wonky)
Do have an emilia.(I prefer the looks of them) She's juvinile and shows a little attitude, but while she raises that leg in threat ( adorable hovers in the air like 'don't make me do this') she's never flicked hairs at me. And regardless hun they are such individuals there's no way to predict. Just pick the one that you personally like the best ^*^

Sorry flash washed her out a bit, but as you can see no missing hairs from flicking
IMG_2831.PNG
she's bright and beautiful in person.

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Let me add, I get slings as I love watching them grow up, change from a drab little house spider looking creature to a beautiful tarantula. It satisfies me to see them change.
On the other hand, I've gotten juvinile and adults and still adore them. My emilia is about 3.5 dls now. (She's molted twice in my care)still enjoy her and she's never been skittish. A little pissy about you mucking around in her enclosure but nothing major.

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
Don't have a Smithi, (sorry about missing this my new post notifications are wonky)
Do have an emilia.(I prefer the looks of them) She's juvinile and shows a little attitude, but while she raises that leg in threat ( adorable hovers in the air like 'don't make me do this') she's never flicked hairs at me. And regardless hun they are such individuals there's no way to predict. Just pick the one that you personally like the best ^*^
Thanks Kymura. It's seems that so far everyone has the Emilia. I was thinking the Smithi would be more popular! I also heard that Emilia's are less likely to flick hairs. It's just that if I get the Emilia it's only .5" and I heard they are slow growers? Also with me living in Canada, the winters are pretty cold and was told the Smithi's are hardy enough to handle dips in Temps...

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Then get your Smithi honey! (Espicially as its confirmed female)
I'll eventually get one as well, and as I said I got my little emilia as a juvinile, I just hesitate on adults as there's no way to know if they are ancient or not. My Brimba does throw poses at me from time to time. (She's possessive of her enclosure), so she's not 100% placid. But as I said she's never kicked hairs or rushed anything but her food.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Kymura. It's seems that so far everyone has the Emilia. I was thinking the Smithi would be more popular! I also heard that Emilia's are less likely to flick hairs. It's just that if I get the Emilia it's only .5" and I heard they are slow growers? Also with me living in Canada, the winters are pretty cold and was told the Smithi's are hardy enough to handle dips in Temps...
Late to this post. both are pretty much the same temprement in my experience so availability and size may be the clincher for you. if you can get a confirmed female then I would usually recommend you do so. Both are long lived if female...up to 20 years.
Just to throw a bit of a curve ball, how about the Brachypelma boheimi? IMHO, the best looking of all the "red legs". just a thought.....lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your input! I think I'm leaning towards the 3" female smithi, as I already have 3 other T's that I'm raising as slings.
Excellent choice. Now go get her and post some lovely pics for us ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You never know what a spiders temperament will be. From one year to the next. Truthiness.
Totally agree. my smaller emilia was very placid and was even being held by my 9 year old. Post moult, grumpy as hell.....Put that one down to PMS (Post Moult Stress) ☺

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I can't comment on much as I only have a Smithi, adult female. But they are an impressive looking tarantula. And she stays out all the time. Not the most active eater but if you drop the cricket right in front of her she grabs it. She does kick hairs occasionally(her butt is bald right now) but I rarely see her do it? It's weird.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have 1 of each, close to the same size, the smithi is about 1.5" and the emilia right around an inch. The emilia is an obligate burrower, you won't see them out in the open much until they get that 1.5-2" size, like when most Brachy's start hanging out in the open. My smithi has only burrowed when smaller to molt. Otherwise he's always out in the open on display. Both are very calm, the smithi is easy to handle and will walk to your fingers and climb on without nudging, the emilia is skittish, i won't handle mine, however i have held her when she ran out of the enclosure once.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
i have 1 of each, close to the same size, the smithi is about 1.5" and the emilia right around an inch. The emilia is an obligate burrower, you won't see them out in the open much until they get that 1.5-2" size, like when most Brachy's start hanging out in the open. My smithi has only burrowed when smaller to molt. Otherwise he's always out in the open on display. Both are very calm, the smithi is easy to handle and will walk to your fingers and climb on without nudging, the emilia is skittish, i won't handle mine, however i have held her when she ran out of the enclosure once.

Mine are the other way round. As slings my smithis all burrowed until they got to around 1.5" but my emelia has never gone to ground and is barely 1", it's always scuttling around in full view..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine are the other way round. As slings my smithis all burrowed until they got to around 1.5" but my emelia has never gone to ground and is barely 1", it's always scuttling around in full view..
if you count in that her burrow is along the enclosure wall my emilia is always in almost full view too ;) All of my Brachy's, except the smithi stayed in their burrows/hides until they hit that 1.5" mark.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
if you count in that her burrow is along the enclosure wall my emilia is always in almost full view too ;) All of my Brachy's, except the smithi stayed in their burrows/hides until they hit that 1.5" mark.

4 albos, 3 smithis all burrowed but the 1 emilia has never even dug a hole.

syzygy

3 Year Member
Like other have said, the temperament between any two individuals within these species can vary but are overall so similar that it wouldn't be possible I think to make a species specific generalization. Both are fantastic Ts and you cannot go wrong either way.

Base the choice on your size preference, your preference on their adult coloration and how important it is to have a female.

One thing to keep in mind relating to size. You mentioned you already have 3 slings. If you get the smithi you will now have to start buying 2 different sizes of feeders.