• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Emergency! (Stuck in Molt)

setsunadiava

My p reduncus is juvenile is stuck in its molt! I used a flag light to peer in and saw there is a huge injury on its side too!! I had to move it into a icu thing with wet towels as suggested in the other forum posts I saw but I don’t know what to do now!!! I also put corn starch on the injury but I’ve been at work all day and who know how long it’s been like this!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4091.jpeg
    IMG_4091.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4092.jpeg
    IMG_4092.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Use a cotton bud with some slightly warm water & try to help your little one separate from it's old clothes. DO NOT pull at the old molt, simply try to help separate it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Excessive corn starch will hinder the molting process by wicking up all the moisture. Superglue would be my go to during a molt. Unfortunately a bled during molting is almost always fatal Tarantulas are water proof so a small drop of soap in water and a q tip will help seperate the molt from the new exoskeleton. . Good luck and I hope the best.

setsunadiava

I managed to get in touch with the person who breeds them and he gave the same advice essentially. But the legs are horribly mangled despite my best efforts. I’m still trying to figure out what went wrong. There’s always a full waterdish and I hydrate the soil at least once a week. It’s been incredibly upsetting to be so helpless to help. Upon closer observation I realized the t had already lost a pedipalp before I got home. Probably why it was so exhausted and couldn’t get out of the molt. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I’ll hold on to hope as long as it lives. I remember seeing Mr Tom Moran’s bad molt that made it.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
But the legs are horribly mangled despite my best efforts. I’m still trying to figure out what went wrong.

We had a T that molted badly & needed assistance a few weeks ago. Despite help it lost a leg, but survived. I asslo have a B hamorii that ended up with two strange back legs after a bad molt. I'll try & get a photo for you. She is fine & has become a climber of her enclosure sides, despite the dodgy rear legs.

setsunadiava

We had a T that molted badly & needed assistance a few weeks ago. Despite help it lost a leg, but survived. I asslo have a B hamorii that ended up with two strange back legs after a bad molt. I'll try & get a photo for you. She is fine & has become a climber of her enclosure sides, despite the dodgy rear legs.
Thank you so much for sharing. My little one’s remaining legs are all similarly twisted. I fear I may have been a bit too late in getting it out of the molt. But I will hold out hope till I can see if it can eat. If it can eat after a week or so, I’ll consider it possible for it to live. While getting it out of the molt, I realized what went wrong, it had ripped off one of its pedipalps during the molt and bled a lot, and probably got exhausted from that alone. And by the time I got home, things were already really bad.

setsunadiava

Please update us when you can. We are pulling for you both.
Thank you. I definitely will. Here is how it is now. It took me literally eight hours to get it out. It’s moving still and it’s breaking my heart seeing it like that. It’s my fist bad molt and by god what a bad molt it is.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

setsunadiava

This is a sad update. My little Psalmopeus reduncus passed away a day after. After they passed I checked the enclosure and they had no chance to begin with. The webs were wet with the yellowish liquid that I assume must have been the blood. Their fate was sealed even before I got off work. Thank you for all the support and advice.

Latest posts