• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Emergency T stirmi rehousing

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only unanswered question is whether I caught her doing this for the first time or was she doing it for a while.

About 6 weeks ago, Nyx the cat was sneezing for no reason and then stopped coming into the bedroom.

Mindy did at times kick hairs and the room was not fun to be in. I figured it's no big deal.

Nyx also stopped watching the tarantulas whereas before she always looked at them, especially Samson and Mindy.

She ( Mindy) always was making a racket, that's for sure. As soon as I got out of bed, she was back in the cage in a flash.

If she was behind the cage and followed the power cords to the floor, in theory she could've done so undetected.

Anyway, there's no way she gets out of that Terra blue cage. If the L klugi hasn't done it, I doubt Mindy will do so.

She was in that ZooMed cage for quite a while without any (known) incidents.

She's wild caught & in nature they do exit the burrows to hunt at night but not too far.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The whole actual cage is very cheap. I already threw it out. She has settled into her new cage nicely & is fully dug in.

Best of all, the dirt didn't end up in the water dish like in the last cage.

Her old cage was right by my C versicolor's cage and that's exactly where she made the hole.

The screen on the top of the Nano tall is far more robust & I doubt she could get in.

If she was getting out, it's impressive that she didn't get lost and not return.

Nyx the cat was looking at the old cage and acted real scared of it. Normally she's very nosey about anything critter related.

What's the chances that I got real lucky and caught her doing this for the very first time anyway?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She can't. The Terra blue cage is much more study, built like a tank. Actually, she dug herself in, blocking the entrance by the water dish and expanded the other one.

The cage is intended for so called "hot" animals by which I mean lethal venom safely.

The Terra blue cage is like the Exo Terra cage, very sturdy screen.

Before transferring her, I held both lids side by side. It was like night and day. The Terra blue lid is at least twice as heavy and the mesh is way stronger.

Heck, maybe she just wanted extra head room!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I was at repticon, one vender had the biggest centipedes I've ever seen in my life, each in their very own Terra blue cage.

That's one reason I like that brand so much.

If those can't beat the cage, I doubt a tarantula can do so.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome video! You have a true escape artist on your hands! Ha ha ha ha.... :)

I'm just glad everyone is ok. Nyx the cat once again is visiting me and the girlfriend in bed, as well as pestering me in the bathroom.

I had plastic over the screen to hold in humidity. The hole was under that and not noticable unless you saw her getting out.

Judging on the bite I got from her (see bite reports) I doubt the cat would survive.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She can't. The Terra blue cage is much more study, built like a tank. Actually, she dug herself in, blocking the entrance by the water dish and expanded the other one.

The cage is intended for so called "hot" animals by which I mean lethal venom safely.

The Terra blue cage is like the Exo Terra cage, very sturdy screen.

Before transferring her, I held both lids side by side. It was like night and day. The Terra blue lid is at least twice as heavy and the mesh is way stronger.

Heck, maybe she just wanted extra head room!!
My Lasiodora klugi ripped through two exoterra screens before I had to give her acrylic. I have one 10" female stirmi working on a corner of a terra blue enclosure. Ive have 10" pokies rip the hell out of exoterras all the time. Once the get a taste for it they keep doing it... good luck.

Latest posts