• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Electric bike peoples?

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I'm toying around with the idea of building an electric bike to get around town. No pedals, all motor. Anyone have experience that could point me to a parts source?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is possible to buy kits that turns your bike from pedal power to electric. The original motorcycles, were just that. Cycles, with motors attached & at least until the 80's a French manufacturer made mopeds with an engine strapped to the handle bars. So adding a motor to a bike is an old & well worn path, so there should be over a decade of lessons learnt about motorising a bicycle.

Edited to add. Youtube is full of DIY bike to ebike conversions.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Google suggests the moped I remember from the 80's was a Velosolex, they produced mopeds between 1946 & 1988 & then operated as a licenced name, with bikes being produced in China. But in 2011 production returned to France & they now make ebikes.

The only difference between the early motorised motorcycles & todays ebikes is really only technology.

ex00.jpg