• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Egg Sac pulling necessary? Why do it?

Andee

3 Year Member
So I have several years ahead before I have to worry about breeding anyone. Even the 3 year olds coming to me. They won't be mature for at least another 3 years if I am correct, and possibly longer. But I have been looking into things, because I am who I am and I love to have 6 months+ of research under my belt constantly before even trying to breed or keep anything new.... so here it is?

To you who pull egg sacs, why do you do it? To you who don't, is there a good outcome and way to not do it?

Everyone seems to want to pull them but I can't figure out why. I feel if the egg sac goes bad or the mom eats it there was a good reason. But I am also one of those people who believes the best genetics are very important. I also am aware I am a massive newbie when it comes to T's and I don't understand everything even about things I have been keeping and breeding for years.... so why not ask some who have been doing this for years? I know I am starting out by doing some taboo things with my T's anyways... at least with how it was met on other forums. But my T's are thriving and showing natural behaviors that I adore like burrowing and making full use of their enclosures as such.

Next I would like to know, if I pull the egg sacs what are some of the best ways to make or what are the best ready made incubators? I want something that is going to keep healthy babies similar to what mom would? I would like it especially as a back up in case I get an abandoned but otherwise healthy sac. Or like mom dies after creating it? Something unexpected but just covering bases?

-Thanks so much everyone!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
while some have found that leaving the sac with the mother, improves the chances of getting more healthy slings, there is also a big chance that the mother could chow down on the eggs as well. For that reason, most choose to pull the sac. Most people choose to pull at or around 30 days, which, allows the mother enough time to turn the sac (I think that is the term used). There are some instances where you may have to pull early, but I can't say anything with complete knowledge about that so I'll summon @sdsnybny @Casey K.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mom is always the best way. That's just nature. Let mom take care of it. In most cases as long as mom is not disturbed she will do her thing and be a good mother. There's a chance you'll have even infertile eggs when mom holds onto the sac but in most cases if that's so, she'll dispose of it somehow (consuming it or disposing of it in her water dish as she would a bolus). I have pulled sacs as early as day 21. Some have turned out ok, others not so much. Then, there are some babies (M. balfouri) that can hatch out and live with mom in a communal setup until they're about 4th instar that do VERY well together (recommended prior to separation for selling/rehoming purposes). If you are worried about your sac and absolutely want to incubate the eggs yourself, I recommend doing it at day 30. It really all depends on the species, though and how long the eggs need to be incubated. I would bring @Austin S. in on this one, too. He is very successful at breeding and will know more than I do as far as duration on pulling sacs and incubating.

Beaker41

3 Year Member
They only reason I ever pull the sac is to make separation a little easier. Especially if you’ve got 1000+ slings to deal with you want the chance to get them separated over 3-4 days rather than all at once. Watching 1000 tarantulas making a break for it is like a zombie movie where the swarm piles up and over a wall.

Latest posts