• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Egg Sac Pull Advice

Hagraven

The spiders in many of the videos I've seen hold onto their work while the keeper pulls at the eggsac.
I've see a few videos that showcase a mother who really struggles to hold on, and some where the mother doesn't- it seems that most of them are understandably exhausted.

Is it ever common for a mother T to go on the defensive and attempt to strike the keeper during these situations? Or are they typically entirely focused on the "tug of war" and afterwards content to retreat or simply allow the keeper to walk away (nevermind how heartbreaking it appears to be!)

Thanks in advance!

ta122

Yes, the female can become defensive. Depending on where she's located, you can attempt to cup her. Just be careful how you grab the sac and how momma is hanging on. Sometimes, she impales babies if she's really fighting. The quicker you take it, the less damage is done. Use two sets of tongs, one to hold her back. Toss her a roach or a cotton ball to distract her once you've gotten the sac.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use the tongs and stick method for all tarantulas arboreal or terrestrial. Some fight more then others but the results are always the same. Very rarely have I had casualties. Mom's are still pretty gentle. Here's a old video to check out.

Hagraven

Yes, the female can become defensive. Depending on where she's located, you can attempt to cup her. Just be careful how you grab the sac and how momma is hanging on. Sometimes, she impales babies if she's really fighting. The quicker you take it, the less damage is done. Use two sets of tongs, one to hold her back. Toss her a roach or a cotton ball to distract her once you've gotten the sac.
Appreciate it