• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating Habits

HTay

3 Year Member
I've had my G. rosea for about three months now (my first and only T right now) and I noticed it eating differently.
It usually hunts and kill all of the crickets, fairly rapidly, usually about 4-6, and makes a ball with them then eats them.
But today I noticed she was laying some silk in a circle then placed the killed prey in it.
I haven't read anything about this when I researched.
Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?
Please share any info! Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Perfectly normal. You may be overfeeding a bit depending on the age/size of the T. I prefer to feed 1-2 crickets at a time and drop more in. You risk catching her on a bad day (pre-molt - molt) and the crickets can actually injure the spider. She looks great though,

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
She's saving them for later. Some times when a T has more food than it can currently ingest, it will web it up somewhere and come back to it. I would removed it the next day if still uneaten though.

HTay

3 Year Member
Thank you! I was so worried I've never seen it happen before!
She did end up eating what she webbed. I think it's because these crickets were bigger than what I usually fed her.
I'll keep in mind to feed her one or so at a time.
How often should I feed? I've been doing every other week.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feed my adults once or twice a week. Depends on the food choice. Slings, I would feed twice per week if you can swing it. More if you want them to grow faster. Again, I still feed one or two at a time to make sure they eat it.