• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf Tarantula Ideas

Seekeroftruth

Most dwarf tarantulas I see available do not appeal to me because they are too leggy or resemble true spiders too much. Hapalopus sp. Columbia (pumpkin patch) and Cyriocosmus elegans fit into this criteria.

I don't want any arboreals so Avicularia minatrix and Typhochlaena seladonia are out. Dolichothele diamantinensis look nice although I'm not looking for heavy webbers (maybe sometime in the future).

I've also seen some north American dwarf tarantulas... I can't recall the species but they looked too leggy for my liking.

Some that I like:

Plesioplema sp. bolivia
Homeochilensis sp. red/ yellow
Euthalus parvalus

Anyone have any ideas of dwarf tarantulas i might like? Please comment even if it's not readily available so I can add it to my wishlist. :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Homeochilensis sp. red/ yellow are now

Red = Homoeomma chilensis & Yellow = Homoeomma orellanai.

Have a look at Cyriocosmus elegans they are beautiful & they often have real character.

The Homoeomma chilensis are not really a dwarf, just a small T. But they are T's with real character & one that you will never regret buying. Even as half inch slings & that is a year after I brought them as quarter inch slings, my chilensis are always ready to climb out of their vial & onto my hand if the opportunity presents it's self. But they can be hard to find, due to their popularity.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Many of the Cyriocosmus genus are colourful and only reach around 2" dls.
You could also look at:-
Neoholothele incei
Heterothele villosella

Seekeroftruth

Homeochilensis sp. red/ yellow are now

Red = Homoeomma chilensis & Yellow = Homoeomma orellanai.

Have a look at Cyriocosmus elegans they are beautiful & they often have real character.

The Homoeomma chilensis are not really a dwarf, just a small T. But they are T's with real character & one that you will never regret buying. Even as half inch slings & that is a year after I brought them as quarter inch slings, my chilensis are always ready to climb out of their vial & onto my hand if the opportunity presents it's self. But they can be hard to find, due to their popularity.

Cyriocosmus elegans looks too much as a true spider for my liking, although I will admit, it is pretty.

I didn't realize Homoeomma chilensis was not considered dwarf. There were some Homoeomma chilensis sp. Red available not long ago, although no slings. At the price they sell for currently, for juvenile to adult, it wasn't worth it to me. They are on my wishlist though for sure. Hopefully more people will start breeding them and the price will go down.

It seems like the case, that many people aren't selling/ breeding dwarfs too much. Besides the ones i mentioned in my origional post. Almost everything is either arboreal, heavy webbers or too leggy and look like true spiders.

The coloring is not too important to me. I would be happy to find a simple brown dwarf as long as its terrestrial and looks like a tarantula.

Seekeroftruth

Many of the Cyriocosmus genus are colourful and only reach around 2" dls.
You could also look at:-
Neoholothele incei
Heterothele villosella

Heterothele villosella looks interesting. It does web and burrow though. How often is it out in the open?

Neoholothele incei is a heavy webber so I don't know if I would see it enough either.

Of all the Cyriocosmus genus, they look too much like true spiders. They are pretty though.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Neischnocolus sp. Panama / formerly Ami sp. Panama... Also potentially interested in this one.
@Enn49 has one I'm sure she will help-
Don't take this the wrong way but you seem awfully picky about what dwarfs you like?
We have N. Incei and see them all the time both the standard and gold colour forms are lovely
Many dwarf Ts have thinner legs ect than there larger counterparts for a reason they are tiny and agile
All dwarf Ts are beautiful :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think the Theraphosinae genus is filled with dwarf species. I think the dwarf US species you are referring to is Aphonopelma paloma. I think there are a few harder to find US species that could be considered as such.

I have both H. orellanai and what "used to be" Phrixotrichus scrofa. Both are unbelievably slow growing.

Seekeroftruth

I think the Theraphosinae genus is filled with dwarf species. I think the dwarf US species you are referring to is Aphonopelma paloma. I think there are a few harder to find US species that could be considered as such.

I have both H. orellanai and what "used to be" Phrixotrichus scrofa. Both are unbelievably slow growing.

Theraphosinae sp. Gambia and Theraphosinae. sp. Panama are the first ones that came up and im looking into them.

timc

3 Year Member
I have a little Kochiana brunnipes that I absolutely adore. Spends a fair amount of time burrowed but I think that’s because I turned her into a little fatty. Delightful species that I don’t feel looks like a true spider.

New2T’s

3 Year Member
I love my dwarves!! Here’s the ones I have:
C. Elegans
C. Bicolor
K. Brunnipes
N. Incei
D. Diamantinensis
2-D. Pentaloris
2-P. Sp Columbia

want a Homeomma so bad. They are so hard to find tho. Bonnetina, Citharacanthus, and Phrixotrochus are others that I want.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love my dwarves!! Here’s the ones I have:
C. Elegans
C. Bicolor
K. Brunnipes
N. Incei
D. Diamantinensis
2-D. Pentaloris
2-P. Sp Columbia

want a Homeomma so bad. They are so hard to find tho. Bonnetina, Citharacanthus, and Phrixotrochus are others that I want.
let me guess names....

C. Elegans = Grumpy,
C. Bicolor = Dopey
K. Brunnipes = Doc
N. Incei = Bashful
D. Diamantinensis = Sneezy
2-D. Pentaloris = Happy (plus Happier)
2-P. Sp Columbia = Sleepy (and already asleep) Ha ha

Latest posts