• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dumb questions re:tibial hooks

x_raphael_xx

For some reason I assumed tibial hooks developed on the front legs, to hold the female, so the pedipalps could be used to inseminate.

So Mithrandir the p. Vittata molted a couple of days ago and has just come out of hiding.
I’ve noticed these on his pedipalps, which I assume are hooks…(this is the first male I’ve had mature so haven’t seen it irl yet!)
ACAB2AA5-968B-4278-9481-7C737D305664.jpeg

Can someone please confirm 1) that these are hooks and 2) this means hes now had his final/mature molt and his clock is ticking for a lady friend.

Hes about 5.5/6 inches if thats any relevance.
1DA72F1D-A545-4E3F-B1FA-DB33D31AD3DF.jpeg

Salatia

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but tibial hooks should be on the first pair of legs I thought? I *think* what you're seeing are the emboli, which also develop on males. They're what are typically referred to as the 'boxing gloves'. I don't know enough about how they're supposed to look on P.vittata so can't speak as to whether these are the fully developed final version, or if these are a pre-maturity stage - they look a bit smaller than those on MM pics I saw, but again I could be wrong. Just hoping to tide you over til someone with real knowledge comes along :p

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

x_raphael_xx

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but tibial hooks should be on the first pair of legs I thought? I *think* what you're seeing are the emboli, which also develop on males. :p
That's what was confusing me, cos I'm sure I've seen them use the pedipalps to inseminate, and wondered how he was supposed to hold up his gf with the same legs. You are correct, they are his emboli! Thank you.

I haven't seen hooks on his legs, but according to this page https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/list-of-species-that-lack-tibial-spurs-updated-for-2015.6111/ vittata don't get hooks/spurs.

So can someone confirm if he's ready for mating? How do I know when he's had his last molt? Do I wait to see if he builds a spermweb?

Salatia

That's what was confusing me, cos I'm sure I've seen them use the pedipalps to inseminate, and wondered how he was supposed to hold up his gf with the same legs. You are correct, they are his emboli! Thank you.

I haven't seen hooks on his legs, but according to this page https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/list-of-species-that-lack-tibial-spurs-updated-for-2015.6111/ vittata don't get hooks/spurs.

So can someone confirm if he's ready for mating? How do I know when he's had his last molt? Do I wait to see if he builds a spermweb?
Ah I knew some didn't develop them but vittata weren't on the list I was referencing. Makes sense though to me.

BTS says the papal bulb *does* indicate maturity, but this doesn't mean they're ready to mate. And instead to watch for them pacing their enclosure - I imagine because you may not always see where they build a sperm web.

Astrozombies

You'll usually see the remains of a sperm web , it's pretty hard to miss. It'll look like a long stringy piece of webbing.
If you do miss it then simply leave him for 3 or 4 weeks from moulting, he should have done one by then.
Are you planning to get a female?

x_raphael_xx

Hi all, I have another q regarding hooks.
I’ve just noticed what looks like hooks on my n.incei.
Do hooks only develop on the final mature molt? Or can they show before.
I can’t get a closer pic as hes very skittish & will run for his burrow as soon as I touch the enclosure. Hes aprox 2 inches
91654B28-F6CD-4936-8618-E6B8C51CD186.jpeg

Latest posts