• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia roach

khatchet

3 Year Member
Can some one tell me the step to keeping a collany i want to switch to them so I dont have to have so many cricket.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
get about 20 females, and 3-5 males. Put them in a larger Tub with Egg Crate. Keep the temp at 85* at all times, and let them do their thing for a couple months.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought 100 mixed dubia yesterday and just got them set up last night. I have about 6 adult females and three males. I'm excited to get going with them after this morning's feeding. I'd heard some adult T's would avoid eating roaches if they'd never had them, but my adults and sub adults had no qualms!

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
I bought 100 mixed dubia yesterday and just got them set up last night. I have about 6 adult females and three males. I'm excited to get going with them after this morning's feeding. I'd heard some adult T's would avoid eating roaches if they'd never had them, but my adults and sub adults had no qualms!

I really need to start a colony myself, as I am in south Florida and no one will ship roaches here...I live in the country on an island, and, would you believe, I can't find any roaches, and believe me, I have looked...Anyone know how to attract them?...Thanks

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I really need to start a colony myself, as I am in south Florida and no one will ship roaches here...I live in the country on an island, and, would you believe, I can't find any roaches, and believe me, I have looked...Anyone know how to attract them?...Thanks
Whatever you do, DO NOT keep any banned roach species in Florida. They take invasives seriously and your looking at more legal trouble than it's worth.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, you guys do have Palmetto Bugs down there. Try looking in the leaf litter in the evenings close to dark. Be warned, however, that wild caught food sources can harbor dangerous parasites that can harm your T's.

Arachnomaniac

3 Year Member

I believe Blaberus discoidalis (discoid roaches) are native to Florida, and therefore legal to keep. They are similar to dubia, except both sexes have full wings (they dont fly though) and should be a good alternative.