• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia roach disaster

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I had a total disaster with my dubia roaches today. Just cleaned my enclosure and replaced foodl. Then almost lost the entire colony. I was holding it up to look through the bottom and held it up too high and my ceiling fan knocked the container out of my hand and across the room. I just started my colony so only 3 females, a male and about 50 nymphs. I believe i got all of them back after a hour of cleaning up. My brother and nephew are furious with me, trying to assure them that i got them all and hoping that i really did but if i infested our house with roaches they're going to disown me. Has anyone ever lost any and have any issues with them reproducing?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No males??? If your house is in the high to low 60s they won't breed and survive. Sounds like you lost nymphs anyways....they will die before ever having a chance to breed. My roaches wont even breed until like 85 degrees. You should be alright...maybe.;)

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
No males??? If your house is in the high to low 60s they won't breed and survive. Sounds like you lost nymphs anyways....they will die before ever having a chance to breed. My roaches wont even breed until like 85 degrees. You should be alright...maybe.;)
Yeah trying to keep it on a small scale to please the family lol i started with 2 males and 5 females but a male and female died recently so left with just one male for now but they've done pretty good so fare. I'll separate what im going to use for feeders and trying to let some of the others mature so i can add them back. If anything got out it was just 1/4" or smaller and my house is pretty drafty so hopefully they die off well before they can ever reproduce.