• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia colony

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been keeping dubias on and off and have never used any cleaners.
the newborn nymphs act as cleaners, they'll eat the droppings of others to balance out their diet.

I bought some cleaners once, little catepillar things. worst thing i ever did. This was just after i started my own colony a year ago december. Those little catepillar things turned into little black beetles that bite, and they fly. every time i'd open the colony to get a roach i'd have a beetle or 2 fly out. i ended up cleaning the roaches out of the container and dumping the cleaners in the snow bank last February. Seems like now though, every time i've bough roaches to boost my colonies, or restart them, the orders come with a few of these same beetles. Seems like i'm killing an escapee once a week.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the newborn nymphs act as cleaners, they'll eat the droppings of others to balance out their diet.

I bought some cleaners once, little catepillar things. worst thing i ever did. This was just after i started my own colony a year ago december. Those little catepillar things turned into little black beetles that bite, and they fly. every time i'd open the colony to get a roach i'd have a beetle or 2 fly out. i ended up cleaning the roaches out of the container and dumping the cleaners in the snow bank last February. Seems like now though, every time i've bough roaches to boost my colonies, or restart them, the orders come with a few of these same beetles. Seems like i'm killing an escapee once a week.
Thanks for the info

Evanthomas

3 Year Member

Oh no, I hope I don't have any in my colony. I've never seen any or been bitten before.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i make a point now to look before i dump the roaches in the colony. i kill those little black beetles on sight if i find any ;)

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
i make a point now to look before i dump the roaches in the colony. i kill those little black beetles on sight if i find any ;)

I'll thoroughly check any time I order some from now on but if I'm careful with feeding I might be able to get some adult females out of the juveniles I've got.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I almost considered getying dermestid beetles for cleaners for my dubais I plan to try and breed but then I did some research and seen they are flesh eaters that stripped a deer skull in 6 hours and 24 minutes.. that was enough to tell me that I want nothing like that anywhere near my T's

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's what I figured was the case the babies do that. And has of now thats all I have lol. Most are going to the Ts but hopefully some will mature out and ill be able to breed(if i get a male and female that is lol) thanks for answer. Also sorry for such a short responce before I was at work on my very short break

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I almost considered getying dermestid beetles for cleaners for my dubais I plan to try and breed but then I did some research and seen they are flesh eaters that stripped a deer skull in 6 hours and 24 minutes.. that was enough to tell me that I want nothing like that anywhere near my T's
Dermestids should be fine. I've been thinking of getting those also, maybe they'd eat the annoying cleaners. But they only eat dead flesh, they wouldn't harm a T. I have a friend that carves antlers and animal skulls, he's got a few thousand dermestids he uses to clean the skulls and antlers. Pretty fascinating, but the smell is god awful lol.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Dermestids should be fine. I've been thinking of getting those also, maybe they'd eat the annoying cleaners. But they only eat dead flesh, they wouldn't harm a T. I have a friend that carves antlers and animal skulls, he's got a few thousand dermestids he uses to clean the skulls and antlers. Pretty fascinating, but the smell is god awful lol.
lllreptile sells the dermestid beetles... 300 for $49.99 or 600 for $95... but I seriously think I'll pass on them.. I mean if I clean the colony tubs monthly I shouldnt have a need for them?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lllreptile sells the dermestid beetles... 300 for $49.99 or 600 for $95... but I seriously think I'll pass on them.. I mean if I clean the colony tubs monthly I shouldnt have a need for them?
Woah, seriously?!? I'll scratch LLL off my ordering list, that's insanely over priced, and way more than you'll ever need lol. Rainbowmealworms.com is where i get a lot of my feeders. They sell the dermestid larvae for $6.99/250 count. Both the larvae and beetles will work as cleaners.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Woah, seriously?!? I'll scratch LLL off my ordering list, that's insanely over priced, and way more than you'll ever need lol. Rainbowmealworms.com is where i get a lot of my feeders. They sell the dermestid larvae for $6.99/250 count. Both the larvae and beetles will work as cleaners.
lol dang lllreptile is super over priced then! rainbow is less then even 1/2 the cost of lllreptile

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I'll have to go check out rainbowmealworms, I need to boost my dubia colony and get some more meal worms actually. The leopard geckos love them.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
check www.southtexasdragons.com for Dubia. I ordered from them a few weeks ago and their service and communication was excellent. They were the only ones shipping the week after the new year and the prices were comparable to other's i've ordered from, better in some cases. they don't sell any other feeders though.