• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Drying substrate.

Tnoob

So, I'm prepping enclosures today, and the substrate is a little more damp than what's needed. I decided to see what happens if I add dry sphagnum moss to the mix.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I used to buy the bricks of coconut fiber, I would leave it out in a room that gets a lot of sunshine and it would dry out in a day or two.

MrKrowe

Moss won’t dry, it just absorbs. Moisture is still in the enclosure.

Prep your enclosures well ahead of time, if possible. You can then see if your mix is supporting mould or other nasties before introducing the spider.

Last edited:

Tnoob

Yeah I bought bricks. Thing is my room is the least sunny room in the house. I'll be leaving my heat lamp over it tonight as well.

Tnoob

Moss won’t dry, it just absorbes. Moisture is still in the enclosure.

Prep your enclosures well ahead of time, if possible. You can then see if your mix is supporting mould or other nasties before introducing the spider.
I've got a few days in this circumstance, actually. That's why I'm doing this.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use newspaper to dry out too much water. It works pretty good. Just press it on the substrate. The next morning you will see the results.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just dont put it in a pan outside in the sun..I left a pile for one day in south Texas on my patio, and mites infested it. Oven works well. Never tried newspaper.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Just dont put it in a pan outside in the sun..I left a pile for one day in south Texas on my patio, and mites infested it. Oven works well. Never tried newspaper.
All I can think now is this:
a4a4602106.png

Matthew

3 Year Member
I have dried out cocofiber in the oven using those disposable foil roasting pans you get at the grocery store. I put the oven on 250F and about 1 to 1.5 inches of the cocofiber in the pan and I stir it occasionally for about an hour or so. Has done the trick for me when I couldn't wait for it to air dry. It holds onto water for a long time in my experience.