• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Drown in The Water Dish

Dear Friends,

So sorry with this question but I believe it's important to ask for my further knowledge to it.

"Can Ts died drowning in the water dish?"

Appreciate your respond and my advance thank you for your kind assistance to it.

Regards,

Sholihin Aziz

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I have heard that it's very unlikely, but not impossible. One instance I heard it looked like the T might have been dehydrated, so went to moult in the water dish and drowned that way :(

I did find my tiny pterinopelma sazimai sling floating in his once, so I gave him a smaller once just in case. When I scooped him out he seemed fine so maybe he just went for a swim.

Overall the consensus seems to be that the risks of not putting in a water dish are much higher than the risks of putting one in, but yeah I just be careful with the relative size of it.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ts are usually good swimmers :D
Swimming is no problem, getting out of the pool is a different matter entirely
George was in the pool gif.gif

I have heard that it's very unlikely, but not impossible. One instance I heard it looked like the T might have been dehydrated, so went to moult in the water dish and drowned that way :(

I did find my tiny pterinopelma sazimai sling floating in his once, so I gave him a smaller once just in case. When I scooped him out he seemed fine so maybe he just went for a swim.

Overall the consensus seems to be that the risks of not putting in a water dish are much higher than the risks of putting one in, but yeah I just be careful with the relative size of it.
Tq friend.

Phototoxin

Generally speaking the cuticle/outer skin is water repellant so it is almost impossible for them to drown in regular water. If the water had a surfactant like soap in it it could be a different story.

ThatGuy83

There is a recent FB post in the Tarantula Collective group about this. This girl, Caitlin Morton, was saying her sling had drowned but then took it out and it was still alive. Its interesting thread. She posts pics. The water dish she has for her sling is too big imo. I personally don't want to chance it and keep all my water dishes smaller then the spider's leg span.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is a recent FB post in the Tarantula Collective group about this. This girl, Caitlin Morton, was saying her sling had drowned but then took it out and it was still alive. Its interesting thread. She posts pics. The water dish she has for her sling is too big imo. I personally don't want to chance it and keep all my water dishes smaller then the spider's leg span.
They can literally walk on water, especially slings
I'm not worried about my Ts drowning in an enclosure/water dish. It's more about how practical sure watershed for slings vs damp moss/substrate

CritterKeeper79

Funny, I saw a spider take a bath today. If you watch the new tarantula collective video on urticating setae, he has a clip of one of his T’s trying to dig in the water bowl. I laughed when I saw it, not sure if it was intentional?