• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Drilling Glass Tanks

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Who has had luck drilling glass fish tanks? I want to make some with acrylic doors but I want there to be cross ventilation. @SpiderDad61 if I remember correctly, you did didn't you?

Pics and feedback would be awesome guys! Thanks.

PS....haven't been on in a while. who remembers me? lol and who is still around?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Entity Welcome back, I remember you :). Where have you been hiding?
Been working 6 days a week 10 hours a day...mandatory overtime at work. Plus school has been keeping me busy when I can find a minute to relax. Which is pretty few and far between. lol... good to be back. Hope I can get in here with you guys more often.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Been working 6 days a week 10 hours a day...mandatory overtime at work. Plus school has been keeping me busy when I can find a minute to relax. Which is pretty few and far between. lol... good to be back. Hope I can get in here with you guys more often.

Ouch, that's no fun. Good to have you back though :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome back @Entity

Like @Shampain said - drilling tempered glass 99% of the time results in a big mess. If the tank you're drilling is tempered i wouldn't even try it.

non-tempered glass use a diamond tip bit like these - https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-00823A...&sr=8-5&keywords=diamond+drill+bits+for+glass

Tape over the area you're drilling to keep the chips and cracks down to a minimum and let the bit do the work, don't need much more force applied than to keep the bit on the glass.
clamp a block of wood on the other side to keep that side from blowing out, also helps reduce stress cracks if you press the bit a little hard.

Few good vids on youtube for this, but they're all larger holes for aquariums.

Latest posts