• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does my T not like it?

NEVERLANDCREATIONS

Hey everyone I recently got my first arboreal tarantula (avicularia avicularia) pink toe tarantula. Since I got it over had it in a mesh arboreal enclosure the mesh is taped up from the inside to prevent the T from getting stuck on the mesh and to reduce water evaporation. Since I've had it the T only stays on the walls of the enclosure mostly on the door the enclosure has two hiding spots on the ground and one at the top so the T has a choice. I have ordered a better acrylic enclosure in case the T doesn't get use to this one. Anything I can do to make it feel more at home?

Attachments

• 16009799931173065303518031174451.jpg
    16009799931173065303518031174451.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 16009800161652883141224058037652.jpg
    16009800161652883141224058037652.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey everyone I recently got my first arboreal tarantula (avicularia avicularia) pink toe tarantula. Since I got it over had it in a mesh arboreal enclosure the mesh is taped up from the inside to prevent the T from getting stuck on the mesh and to reduce water evaporation. Since I've had it the T only stays on the walls of the enclosure mostly on the door the enclosure has two hiding spots on the ground and one at the top so the T has a choice. I have ordered a better acrylic enclosure in case the T doesn't get use to this one. Anything I can do to make it feel more at home?
Hi - first of all remove the tape from the mesh.. Avics need very good ventilation to do well and a stuffy damp enclosure is a sure way to kill it
They do not need a high humidity environment they do well in good ventilated enclosures with dry substrate and a water dish -
You can add some vertical cork bark as they like multiple hiding spots but I feel that yours is hanging around the sides of the enclosure due to stress caused by living in a stuffy, humid environment - once you improve on this you should find that your Tarantula will settle down a lot more - hope this helps :)

NEVERLANDCREATIONS

My arboreals climb on the mesh at least every other day, with rare exceptions, of course. They seem to like the feeling. I have only been doing this for 6 years, but so far.....no tarsal amputations.
Mine has done it since I got it about a month the abdomen does look pretty dark but I'm not sure if it's just the color of the T's abdomen
or if it's a bald spot

NEVERLANDCREATIONS

Update: I've taken the tape off and I don't mist the enclosure too much anymore but the T still doesn't want to come off the door of the enclosure for a second it seemed like it was hiding behind the moss but came out and stays on the glass. I tried tong feeding it a superworm seemed interested and thought about taking a bite but backed off

NEVERLANDCREATIONS

Thats a horrible enclosure for a tarantula. That's a reptile enclosure. You need to rehouse that spider soon.
I have another arboreal enclosure by reptizoo all glass with mesh top I was gonna rehouse it into if it didn't like the new setup which it doesn't but I do believe it's in premolt. Its abdomen has a black spot on it looks like a dark bald spot but has been this way since I got it. Should I rehouse?

Attachments

• 20200927_205536.jpg
    20200927_205536.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have another arboreal enclosure by reptizoo all glass with mesh top I was gonna rehouse it into if it didn't like the new setup which it doesn't but I do believe it's in premolt. Its abdomen has a black spot on it looks like a dark bald spot but has been this way since I got it. Should I rehouse?
There's no way to tell if a Avicularia is in premolt by looking at it. They usually are lethargic, have trouble climbing soon after web alot. The sooner you transfer it into a more suitable enclosure the better. It needs sturdier things up high to web to.

Seekeroftruth

The entire enclosure is mesh? Never seen that before except for housing moths, butterflies, ect. I would remove some of the tape but not all because that would get rid of the micro climate. A lot of my arboreals avoid walking on mossy textures. I doubt your avic likes to walk on that grassy stuff. They like to walk on wood textures and large leafs.

Latest posts