• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does anyone keep salamanders?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From my understanding they need to be in an enclosure to with one end deep enough to swim in and the other half with shallow water/area they can rest upon? I guess its best to include as many natural elements as possible in the enclosure - sorry I'm not much help but I don't own any but know someone who used to so I'm just going by the way they had there enclosure :)

Avicularia Kael

I had a eastern red backed salamander, but their enclosure could not stay humid enough so they were a skeleton just in time for Halloween (literally).

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Well my daughter decided that "cuppy " needed to go be free in the wild. (She watches a lot of wild kratts on pbs) so we released him in the ditch behind our house in an area where I've seen salamanders before. He had a luxurious 2 weeks stay in our salamander spa though.

MBullock

3 Year Member
From my understanding they need to be in an enclosure to with one end deep enough to swim in and the other half with shallow water/area they can rest upon? I guess its best to include as many natural elements as possible in the enclosure - sorry I'm not much help but I don't own any but know someone who used to so I'm just going by the way they had there enclosure :)
They only enter ponds to breed. tiger salamanders are actually fossorial and spend most of their live underground

a false bottom (2-3" layer of smooth aquarium gravel filled to the surface,a mix of clean sphagnum and and eco-earth is a great sub.

Saturate the sub, but squeeze out the excess so it is lightly moist like cake. it needs not be tamped down firmly.

you dont need a large pool of water, just a dish to soak in, as that's basically how amphibians drink- through their skin