• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

does anybody here know how to drill holes through glass?

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
i've watched a couple of videos on youtube and they all use a special type of drill bit for glasses. i don't have that. but i'm taking the risk of shattering the glass. :D

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't do that. Practise on something that don't matter if it breaks first like a dinner plate but seriously mind your eyes.

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
aww. really? good thing i'm lazy and didn't do it yet. HAHA. but i rehoused my G. pulchripes into a small aquarium. but the lid has no holes. :( so i just leave a part of it open and hope he doesn't escape. :D

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
it's a small aquarium. about the size of a large critter keeper. and the lid is made of glass. i'm still looking for a replacement lid here at my house. :p

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I would just go buy yourself a piece of 1/8 plexiglass and make a new lid. It's just as nice as glass and if you leave the plastic protective layer on while doing all your cutting/drilling what have you, you'll have a scratch free lid! It weighs less too!

What I do is I cut a piece to he size I want. Mark out with a sharpie where I want the holes, I measure of course. I then drill them out with a 10 dollar unibit. That's what I call it anyways. Basically what it is, is a step bit. It gauges the holes for you and because it does that it lessens the chances of your plexiglass cracking. I've yet to have a piece crack. Once that is all done, I make up rights and I'll post a picture, but I'll cut to where I want the substrate, if it's for the top you could just cut it in half if you wanted and put hinges on. All together a lid costs me... maybe 10 dollars? Plus time. Bast likes em, I'm going to be making her a couple whenever she needs em. Takes me no longer than an hour to make one, and it gives me something to do. And because it's so easy, I'm seriously thinking about making my own enclosures all together. I like how light weight they are.

pennpets

3 Year Member
I know this has been resolved, but there are carbide tipped drill bits available at your big box hardware stores. (I used to manage the hardware dept. of one of them) They work for drilling glass/ceramic. There is a bit of a learning curve, so as mentioned above practice on something else. Also many aquariums use a form of safety glass which can make the drilling process even more "fun". I am glad you found a suitable lid for your T's enclosure.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice pennpets! At some point I'm going to try my hand at DIY customs, so I'm bookmarking/making notes on advice and tips I've read. Appreciate it!

pennpets

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice pennpets! At some point I'm going to try my hand at DIY customs, so I'm bookmarking/making notes on advice and tips I've read. Appreciate it!
If I can't give a hand to a fellow hobbyist my day is wasted.. One thing I want to point out about drilling glass: often it is wise to put some masking tape over the spot where you wish to drill, this reduces bit chatter as well as the chance for cracking.

Latest posts