• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do you ever move the dirt curtains?

Tnoob

No seriously, like it just hides, I know it's normal, but I'm concerned about mortality rates in pre juveniles.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Nah, I don't feel like doing so. A tarantula deserves its hiding place, and often a hiding T is a happy T. They know what they're doing and they do it for a reason.

Also, it's important to remember that mortality rates are what they are most likely because some individuals are not meant to be to survive. It may sound harsh, but that's how the nature works :) There is usually very little a human can do to save a tarantula, especially when they're small and relatively fragile. Destroying their hides (even though they will just build a new one into a better spot) won't help saving them :D

Last edited:

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No seriously, like it just hides, I know it's normal, but I'm concerned about mortality rates in pre juveniles.
There is always a good reason for hiding...don’t disturb them. I know, sometimes they stay in there for a long time! :D

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Yeah don't want to bother em too much, if you just want reassurance that it's ok, just place pre killed food near it's hide, if the food isn't there the next morning then you know it came out to eat and should be good for another week.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is what they see everytime we are gazing at their enclosure.
f22ecc82d40ea0e761d3ea2bca3e13d3.jpg
This is why they need dirt curtains. ;)

Jeef

3 Year Member
I have 3 that have completely buried themselves but have burrows that go up to the side of the enclosure. I have a window to peek into without digging them up. The rest of them, it is tough luck for me. Currently I have 5 that have buried themselves. I have another 3 that might as well be fossorial, because they very rarely come out. I don't let it bother me. They are going to do what they are going to do.

And just to throw it out there, I have 2 that aren't buried at all that haven't eaten in at least 2 months. I don't worry about them. They'll eat when they get hungry.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I brought a Cyriopagopus minax in December last year & I have still not seen it. I'm told it's female, but other than a very occasional glimpse of movement, thanks to a torch shone down it's burrow, I am yet to see it.

My daughter has seen it's legs at the burrow entrance. She claims. But thats life with T's. Pet holes are only the start. Some, like my Cyriopagopus lividus do not even have holes. I know the lividus is there, as sometimes, if you lift the enclosure up, you can see her moving through the bottom of the enclosure. And then there are the curtain builders & the great camouflages.

My wife has a small juvi Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica. We hope it's still on it's bark, but you look all you want & it's not there. Sometimes after a really lucky break, you can spot it. But its camaflarge is so good, it's near impossible to spot.

And did I mention the Heteropoda boei? It's a Litchen Huntsman with a DLS of around 4.5 inches. It's in a glass enclosure & my wife calls it Wally because sometimes you can spend minutes thinking where's Wally? & it's there on a branch, out in the open, when you know it's there.

Jeef

3 Year Member
I didn't know you could do it in the home! I've been doing it behind the grocery store! Do you know how difficult it is to explain to the cops?!

This is nice information.