• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do T's escape often?

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
Plenty of 'OMG MY T ESCAPED!' stories online, enough that it has got me worried... So I'm here for reassurance :)

I'm 32 years old, methodical and paranoid about escapees, so I can say with as much certainty as possible that the lid will be on, it will be clicked (exo-terra) and I think I might even put a book or similar on the lid. The hatches won't be opened unless the spider is on the ground, and then I'll be watching it closely to make sure it doesn't scurry up and out while I have the hatch open.

I suppose at some point I need to take the whole lid off, again carefully (and the first few times I'm considering using the (empty) bath as then Mr T will be easier to re acquire if he makes a run for it.

Overly paranoid, or sensible plans? Most of the stories tend to have "I left the door open/lid off" as a theme, but there is also talk of them pushing lids off.

So! For the docile starter type species, terrestrial, how much force can they exert and how often do people who close the lid have an escapee? My wife is only begrudgingly allowing the new addition, so an escape would be... Problematic. But my main worry is the fact the spider would be sharing a room with 4 guinea pigs who I would rather weren't bitten while I was at work, so I need to be clear in my mind that lid on = minuscule chance of escape.

Reassurance welcomed! But honesty would be helpful too, if there is a time escapes happen I'd welcome forewarning :)

I'm guessing (as a side point) the spider would stay clear of the piggies, as their tank would stink, they would dwarf it in size and it's not like it would think of them as food (unless it was REALLY hungry!)

Poec54

3 Year Member
Depends on how you cage them, what species you have, how you work with them, and your experience level. They've been described as 8 legged can openers. Don't underestimate yours.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
As for how strong spiders can be, I have a wolf spider (common kind you see around the house) that can grab the end of my feeding tongs and actually move the whole set of 12 inch tongs.

Edit: The book on top of the tank sounds like a good idea. That or getting something that latches or snaps shut.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Plenty of 'OMG MY T ESCAPED!' stories online, enough that it has got me worried... So I'm here for reassurance :)

I'm 32 years old, methodical and paranoid about escapees, so I can say with as much certainty as possible that the lid will be on, it will be clicked (exo-terra) and I think I might even put a book or similar on the lid. The hatches won't be opened unless the spider is on the ground, and then I'll be watching it closely to make sure it doesn't scurry up and out while I have the hatch open.

I suppose at some point I need to take the whole lid off, again carefully (and the first few times I'm considering using the (empty) bath as then Mr T will be easier to re acquire if he makes a run for it.

Overly paranoid, or sensible plans? Most of the stories tend to have "I left the door open/lid off" as a theme, but there is also talk of them pushing lids off.

So! For the docile starter type species, terrestrial, how much force can they exert and how often do people who close the lid have an escapee? My wife is only begrudgingly allowing the new addition, so an escape would be... Problematic. But my main worry is the fact the spider would be sharing a room with 4 guinea pigs who I would rather weren't bitten while I was at work, so I need to be clear in my mind that lid on = minuscule chance of escape.

Reassurance welcomed! But honesty would be helpful too, if there is a time escapes happen I'd welcome forewarning :)

I'm guessing (as a side point) the spider would stay clear of the piggies, as their tank would stink, they would dwarf it in size and it's not like it would think of them as food (unless it was REALLY hungry!)
Hello
My Arboreal cages have latches,so do my terrestrial cages. With my smaller specimens,the lid has a piece of glass running across the lid diagonally thus when putting it on the top in slides in causing it to stick. I haven't lost a specimen ever,and I hope it stays that way.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Not only are they strong, but they can do a lot with their fangs, like digging thru hard, compacted soils. Tarantulas can easily chew thru screen, particularly terrestrials. I've had a Hysterocrates break off a piece of a Plexiglas divider, and Phormictopus chew holes thru thick cork.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In addition to the advice above, if you research this topic, you will find that most escapes occur after feeding. People get distracted and forget. I have hold down clips on all my screens on the tanks. I use locks for each clip or latch (even for the non-agressive species. The primary reason is to keep people OUT but there is an additional benefit. I take all my clips off at one time when I feed. When I am done, I replace them all. It is quite obvious if I miss one as there will be an extra clip or lock out. Has worked great on all fronts. I have never had an escapee.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
In addition to the advice above, if you research this topic, you will find that most escapes occur after feeding. People get distracted and forget...

This was the cause of my first and last escapee... It was early days for me in the hobby and I did not check that the lid was securely on... The next day my G. pulchripes was gone.... It was my own fault and I was upset for days... I have since learnt my lesson!

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
Hi all

Exo-Terra box has arrived and exceeded expectations. The lid fixes very firmly (I struggled to get it off again), the big door has to slide before it lifts open, the little door... Ok, the weak point, but I can fix that (I intend to tape the lid down given it won't be being removed day to day, will either tape or put something on the little door).

I'm confident no moving part will be moved, or as confident as a newbie can be :)

I'm intrigued by the idea the T might chew its way out through the plastic, is that likely?!?

Latest posts