• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do tarantulas take care of there babies?

PaulaDebra

I've seen videos where people take the egg sack away from the tarantula and others who let the babies hatch in moms cage. Which way is the safest for the babies and do tarantulas take care of their babies if you leave them with the mom?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The best way is always with the mom. However any stress on the mom and she will eat the sack. Pulling the sack increases the chance of survival of the slings. Mom usually will guard the youngsters until they wander off. After a while she will become annoyed with their presence and have a few for lunch. Communal spiders are different...they will feed their young or share prey. Other then that spiders are all wired off instincts...moms not teaching them anything they already didn't know.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally I would hate to have to separate hundreds of babies in a enclosure. The safest way I believe is to pull the sack. Trying to get mom out of the way may cause multiple casualties in the process. Also at 2nd instar the slings will start eating each other. Pulling the sack in captivity is the safest.

MrKrowe

I've seen videos where people take the egg sack away from the tarantula and others who let the babies hatch in moms cage. Which way is the safest for the babies and do tarantulas take care of their babies if you leave them with the mom?

In the artificial construction of our homes the chances are that the spider feels every vibration, so your washing machine or your tumble dryer or your vacuum cleaner can all feel like a clear and present threat. Our houses are like an enormous sound box, and our spiders feel every vibration.

Pulling the sac reduces the risks, it doesn’t mean you will have the most slings and you have to be careful as/when you do it.

In a perfect world I would leave the sac with mother. But you have to evaluate your circumstances and decide accordingly. Don’t forget we are a species that creates vibration (noise) for no reason - and for spiders vibration is everything.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A good communal species would be Monocentropus balfouri. They are known for being great mothers. :) Also, Neholothele incei (olive form). I have kept these communal, myself and had around 200 in the tank at one given time. This didn't include egg sacs. I have "heard" that the gold form are a little more cannibalistic but I'm unsure because I've never kept them communally. Some poecilotheria are great for communal setups and also Avicularia species (I have kept these communally, as well).

Latest posts