• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do P. Cambridgei Female slings grow bigger and faster then males?

Angrygreenfraggle

Hello all!! I have two p. Cambridgei slings. One is growing super fast and is much bigger the other one very slow and is much smaller. Someone told me the bigger one is likely a female but my friend said more likely to be male. In your experience are the faster growing and bigger p's male or female?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to The forum

Well, I guess you're going to find out if you hold on to them both. Individual genetics even between slings from the same sac dictate growth rate and ultimate size. Having raised Bunches of slings, I find no direct correlation between growth rate and size to gender.

It is arguable however, that if nature were to design such a thing to be so, it's conceivable that the males would grow faster and mature sooner to prevent breeding with their sac mates to promote genetic diversity a factor in the longevity of the species.

Perhaps others will chime in to share their experience, or opinion.

Angrygreenfraggle

Welcome to The forum

Well, I guess you're going to find out if you hold on to them both. Individual genetics even between slings from the same sac dictate growth rate and ultimate size. Having raised Bunches of slings, I find no direct correlation between growth rate and size to gender.

It is arguable however, that if nature were to design such a thing to be so, it's conceivable that the males would grow faster and mature sooner to prevent breeding with their sac mates to promote genetic diversity a factor in the longevity of the species.

Perhaps others will chime in to share their experience, or opinion.
Super interesting! Thanks for the info!!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello all!! I have two p. Cambridgei slings. One is growing super fast and is much bigger the other one very slow and is much smaller. Someone told me the bigger one is likely a female but my friend said more likely to be male. In your experience are the faster growing and bigger p's male or female?

There is no evidence, other than personal opinion, for males growing faster. There is some evidence, that males may molt more often, but that does not mean they gain the same growth per molt as a female, as males are much smaller at sexual maturity than females. But generally, opinion is that males do grow quicker, but that does not mean they really do, as psychologists have a large number of well recorded human behaviours that could explain such beliefs. False memory & Conformation bias, being just two that would explain errors in perception.

MBullock

3 Year Member
It seems that they mature earlier rather than grow faster. Ive noted aphonopelma iodius and eutylenum males can mature at really small sizes, ive collected a mature male iodius that was a mere 3" in legspan

Mess

I raised a female and a male from sling, And my male grew way Faster and died And I still have the female.