• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do I have a boy and a girl P. Metallica? (With new pics).

Loafman

3 Year Member
Hi, I wonder if anyone can have a look at these pictures of my two P. Metallica's. I picked them up from 2 different breeders at the BTS show in May 2015 (one UK seller and one from Germany I think) just in case I may get the chance to try and breed them in the future.
They are about 2.5 inches in leg span at the moment (one is a tiny bit bigger than the other). I am guessing, based on what I have read that pic 1 is female, and pic 2 is male.. the pics aren't the best, but they both look to be a bit different to me, so I'm fairly confident there is one of each sex.

I'm certainly interested in other peoples opinions? :)

Pic 1
PMet1.jpg

Pic 2
PMet2.jpg

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pic 2 I would say male, pic one looks like it has web on the glass right where I need to see, but it does look more female as far as general shape. That said, its all guessing without a molt, especially at 2.5 inches. And I also don't trust my vent sexing abilities..

Loafman

3 Year Member
Sorry, I cannot tell from theses pictures (and I am zero at ventral sexing anyway).
Agreed. The pics are not very clear.
Pic 2 I would say male, pic one looks like it has web on the glass right where I need to see, but it does look more female as far as general shape. That said, its all guessing without a molt, especially at 2.5 inches. And I also don't trust my vent sexing abilities..
Agreed, the pics are a bit crappy, I just wondered if people thought similarly to me based on what could be seen. They will be rehoused soon, and they will hopefully moult fairly soon after that, then I can get some better pics of the moults or undersides. I like your guesses though MassExodus.. ;)

Loafman

3 Year Member
I believe you are correct.
Top, girl.
Bottom, boy.
They both behaved very differently when I rehoused them yesterday.

Cliff wondered into his new place without too much of a fuss, had a quick mooch about and settled in.

Burton on the other hand did not want to leave the comfort of her previous (heavily webbed) enclosure, and it took a lot of coaxing to get her out of it. I felt really cruel, because she was pacing around for quite a while, seemingly really uncomfortable in her new house.

They both seem to be quite settled today though.. which is a relief. :)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Can understand why Burton would not want to leave her old home. Put in a lot of work, had it all comfy & cozy, and suddenly got an eviction with no notice.;)
It's good to hear that they are settled in today.:)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
The anterior booklungs appear closer together, on the bottom T, than on the top T.

The book lungs appear to have more angulation, on the top T, than those of the T on bottom.

The bottom T appears to have epiandrous fusillae whereas the top T appears to just have the "hairy hump".

The gonoslit appears straighter, on the bottom T, than that of the top T.

Those things are what led me to my conclusion. Even though I will never say a 100% conclusion on vent sexing.;)

The photos are not crisp, & clear, so I use the word "appear" whenever applicable.

Edit to add: This is based on 2nd set, of pics, and not the 1st set.

Last edited:

Latest posts