• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do Honduran curly hairs fast.

arachnidrealm89

I was wondering if Honduran curly hairs fast. I know it's not too out of the ordinary for t's to just not eat for a while but I just want to hear some one else's opinion. I've had her for nearly 4 months and she not ate but one time. She's borrowed down and never comes out. I thought maybe she's in premolt but her bold spot is not darkening any. She's had this bold spot for nearly 2 months. Her abdomen is normal size. I'm just seeking people's thoughts on this. Thank you for any answers and advice.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The bald spot is because she has been hair flicking.

My experience with Tliltocatl / Brachypelma is that they are very prone to not eating. With some being very eager takers of food. I have two who are very fussy about the size of food, anything too big & they will not take it. Also try leaving the food in for an extra day, so 36 hours, instead of 24. As I have two T's, who will take food 99% of the time within 36 hours, but maybe 10% of the time within 24 hours.

Also what food are you offering? Have you tried different options? I started a roach colony to feed my T's. But very few of my T's will take them. But all will take crickets, other than my slings, which get beheaded mealworms.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was wondering if Honduran curly hairs fast. I know it's not too out of the ordinary for t's to just not eat for a while but I just want to hear some one else's opinion. I've had her for nearly 4 months and she not ate but one time. She's borrowed down and never comes out. I thought maybe she's in premolt but her bold spot is not darkening any. She's had this bold spot for nearly 2 months. Her abdomen is normal size. I'm just seeking people's thoughts on this. Thank you for any answers and advice.
They do indeed fast, but so does every other tarantula at some point. I had a T. albopilosus refuse to eat for over a year despite superworm offerings every other week.

arachnidrealm89

The bald spot is because she has been hair flicking.

My experience with Tliltocatl / Brachypelma is that they are very prone to not eating. With some being very eager takers of food. I have two who are very fussy about the size of food, anything too big & they will not take it. Also try leaving the food in for an extra day, so 36 hours, instead of 24. As I have two T's, who will take food 99% of the time within 36 hours, but maybe 10% of the time within 24 hours.

Also what food are you offering? Have you tried different options? I started a roach colony to feed my T's. But very few of my T's will take them. But all will take crickets, other than my slings, which get beheaded mealworms.
Thank you for your advice. I've tried crickets small to lrg. I've tried dubia and even mealworms. I have used tongs and have dropped them in her enclosure. She has barricaded herself and won't even come out to drink. She's full grown at 6". I do not know her age. I've have tried everything with her. Reduced the noises moved her to a dimmer part of the room I have my collection. I know it's not out of the norm for t's to fast for months even over a year. I'm just wondering if this is something I need to be worried about.

arachnidrealm89

They do indeed fast, but so does every other tarantula at some point. I had a T. albopilosus refuse to eat for over a year despite superworm offerings every other week.
So is this something I should just look over? She has barricaded her self under a log hide. Has pushed her substrate to both ends and won't even come out to drink water. She has a nickel size bald spot on her abdomen and ,even though I knew I shouldn't, I have check 3 times since she has burrowed and her abdomen has not swollen any and that spot has not darkened. I have a brachypelma hamarii who isn't but 6 months who still molts pretty frequently but she never even burrows to molt. Just a light molt mat at the opposite side of her hide. My B.hamorii kicks hair like crazy when I go in her enclosure for feedings or water or anything but her bold spot is never as bad as my curly. Sorry this was so long. Just trying to figure out if I should worry or not?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So is this something I should just look over? She has barricaded her self under a log hide. Has pushed her substrate to both ends and won't even come out to drink water. She has a nickel size bald spot on her abdomen and ,even though I knew I shouldn't, I have check 3 times since she has burrowed and her abdomen has not swollen any and that spot has not darkened. I have a brachypelma hamarii who isn't but 6 months who still molts pretty frequently but she never even burrows to molt. Just a light molt mat at the opposite side of her hide. My B.hamorii kicks hair like crazy when I go in her enclosure for feedings or water or anything but her bold spot is never as bad as my curly. Sorry this was so long. Just trying to figure out if I should worry or not?
It is quite normal and nothing to worry about. You’re T. albopilosus is probably leaving its burrow to drink water, but only during the night. Your B. hamorii will likely do the same thing eventually.

arachnidrealm89

It is quite normal and nothing to worry about. You’re T. albopilosus is probably leaving its burrow to drink water, but only during the night. Your B. hamorii will likely do the same thing eventually.
Thank you for your help. I just been worried. I'm fairly new to the tarantula hobby. I've been in the reptile hobby since I was a kid off and on. But I thought it would be good to try some other animals also. I always heard that the tarantula hobby was a fast addiction and it seems to be. I also have an A.avicularia also. I'm not sure if it's male or female yet. It's still pretty small. Not a sling, just a small juvenile. That 3 total. I want to add more to my collection but want to make sure I'm doing things right first.again thank you for you time and help. Hopes to receive more of your insight in the future. Because I will likely ask.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for your help. I just been worried. I'm fairly new to the tarantula hobby. I've been in the reptile hobby since I was a kid off and on. But I thought it would be good to try some other animals also. I always heard that the tarantula hobby was a fast addiction and it seems to be. I also have an A.avicularia also. I'm not sure if it's male or female yet. It's still pretty small. Not a sling, just a small juvenile. That 3 total. I want to add more to my collection but want to make sure I'm doing things right first.again thank you for you time and help. Hopes to receive more of your insight in the future. Because I will likely ask.
That is why forums like this exist. It is pretty addicting. I had around 55 before I got out earlier this year due to a certain bill that ended up not passing (I am getting back into the hobby soon however). Avoid the classifieds section if you want to maintain self control over your spending habits.

x_raphael_xx

20221005_184527862_iOS.jpg

If the bald spot looks like this, that's hairs that have been kicked off. Some T's like to kick hairs into the substrate as a defensive thing. Doesn't mean its in premolt. You can see the skin underneath, this won't darken.

Latest posts