• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do gravid tarantulas itch at their abdomens or spermatheca?

Hagraven

I have watched grooming spiders routinely itch and scratch (looks like it anyway) but I spotted yesterday my possibly gravid tarantula itching her abdomen and today what could have been her spermatheca, and I have to wonder...

I had heard (but please don't quote me) from "Dave's Little Beasties" on youtube that a female will sometimes scratch at her spermatheca right after a pairing.

Has anyone experience with gravid tarantulas doing this long weeks after a pairing, but prior to laying an egg sac?

Thanks!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have watched grooming spiders routinely itch and scratch (looks like it anyway) but I spotted yesterday my possibly gravid tarantula itching her abdomen and today what could have been her spermatheca, and I have to wonder...

I had heard (but please don't quote me) from "Dave's Little Beasties" on youtube that a female will sometimes scratch at her spermatheca right after a pairing.

Has anyone experience with gravid tarantulas doing this long weeks after a pairing, but prior to laying an egg sac?

Thanks!
After pairing yes they massage themselves. Anytime after that they are just grooming.

Latest posts