• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY hollow bark? (terrestrials)

silentarantula

3 Year Member
is pvc plastic sheet or pipe (cut in half) an ideal substitute for hollow wood that won't get mold and all? and have the substrate cover the pvc? are there the specific kind of wood that have durability to not mold/decay in long run?

other ideas? i know metal can cause rust or like that in moisture long term. i've seen some using ceramic planting pot buried in half, but it doesn't allow tarantula to burrowing deeper which i'd not want to use planting pot as hiding decors.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
PVC works, i've used similar for my slings as hides. The substrate covering it dries out quickly if you don't keep an eye on it and slides off, i found that out the hardway.

Ceramic pots are best if they're cut in half, then they can burrow below the half pot to their hearts content.

silentarantula

3 Year Member
thanks. i'll order cork bark online when i have enough adult tarantula coming in. i just found a cork bark over pet store that i can cut up so that will be what i need for now. it's for my four adult scorpions right now. all my tarantulas are slings beside a female A. ezendami and female A. avicularia which have their enclosure set up already.

what's best method to make less mess and clean cuts for the cork bark? since i have a 10" cork bark that i can cut down in four hollow barks.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a coping saw, then i can give the hide a bit of "life" rather than just a flat cut side, but i do use a flat side on the hide to put against the enclosure wall.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I got a price list from Maryland Cork Company
They have prety good pricing, i thin I will be placing an order for some medium rounds
TUBULAR CORK: ALL TUBES $3.95 PER POUND

LARGE TUBES: (ABOUT 4 PCS PER BOX) 8 TO 12 INCHES IN DIAMETER (APPROX 20 LBS PER BOX)

MEDIUM TUBES: (ABOUT 6·7 PCS PER BOX) 4·8 INCHES IN DIAMETER (APPROX 20 TO 25 LBS PER BOX)

SMALL TUBES: (APPROX 28 TO 30 POUNDS PER BOX OR LESS)

THE TUBES ARE 19 TO 36 INCHES LONG

silentarantula

3 Year Member
I use a coping saw, then i can give the hide a bit of "life" rather than just a flat cut side, but i do use a flat side on the hide to put against the enclosure wall.

good idea. i actually did kind of manual ways. i don't have any machine tools except for drill. i actually made the holes and used serrated knife to cut it. not the clean cut but like you said, it does give a bit of life.

but i plan to buy dremel-type saw sometimes soon when my slings turn juveniles/adult to add the hides.

silentarantula

3 Year Member
So I got a price list from Maryland Cork Company
They have prety good pricing, i thin I will be placing an order for some medium rounds
TUBULAR CORK: ALL TUBES $3.95 PER POUND

that look great, i'll give several sites some look since i can hack in any i want it shaped up in few months later when my Ts get bigger, they all are slings right now.

(the reason i asked because i have four adult scorpions so i only need four half-rounded hides right now. so i bought a medium size rounded cork bark, hack into four pieces. work wonderful! my scorpions love it more than wood one.)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You could also try neherpetoculture.com for cork. Plastic pipe works fine, but as kormath said, the substrate will dry out and fall off the top, unless you make a mountain over the pipe, which actually looks pretty cool, I like different types of terrain in my enclosures :) I ordered 5 lbs of cork from neherp, assorted slabs and tubes, about hmmm, 3 months ago I think, was very happy with the order. It's best to wait for sales on bulk orders though, or as someone informed me, get it at an expo if one comes around, they said it's dirt cheap at those.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
good idea, i might as well wait next month, there's a reptile and exotic pets expo, (doubt there's tarantulas, but i will check it out) same time i could get peek at cork barks.
THey usually have them. The one they have here have a small group of T collectors that join the other inverts and reptile owners. It's mostly a reptile show though, tons of lizards and snakes etc. But they do have vendor booths from some of the various lps there as well. Or so i've been told from one of the T owners that goes regularly. I missed the last one they had, i'm hoping the next one will be on a weekend i can make it there :)

Latest posts