• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY avic deli cups

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Following this video posted by @Tomoran I created 24oz versions of his 5.5oz snack cups and used them for my Avic project

I basically followed the example exactly and even mixed my own substrate, similar to the instructions at the end of the YouTube video lol

Here's quick pic with a satisfied customer :T:

IMG_20200421_134207.jpg

Since my slings and deli cups are larger than the ones in the DIY video I hot glued cork bark flats diagonally inside the "lids" with plastic and silk leaves attached with a dash of damp moss

The base has double cups, the bottom one hot glued to the base, to make water dish cleanup a quick swap.

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They really look great. I like the idea but the security factor bothers me. I'd be dropping bottoms all the time. This is how I do Avic slings...upside down Amac box with corkbark screwed into the top. Boxs are $4.00 at the container store. View attachment 45180
If only the container store were open lol
yeah, I like those too and have standardized on them for the most part but this pandemic :eek:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Jamie's tarantulas sells them but they are a lot more.
The container store online sells them, so does Amazon, but those deli cups were free lol and are just a stepping stone.

Phase 2 of the project may go the Amac route, here is a mini prototype suitable for a smaller sling
IMG_20200422_090805.jpg
IMG_20200422_090846.jpg

The red plug at the top acts as a handle, lol, and a feeding/watering port for Avics that tend to stay at the top of the enclosure

Konstantin

3 Year Member
The container store online sells them, so does Amazon, but those deli cups were free lol and are just a stepping stone.

Phase 2 of the project may go the Amac route, here is a mini prototype suitable for a smaller sling
View attachment 45191View attachment 45192

The red plug at the top acts as a handle, lol, and a feeding/watering port for Avics that tend to stay at the top of the enclosure
Looks great.
Its a shame I can't find them boxes in UK

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These deli cups avic enclosures have been working great! Only thing I would do differently is make the bases deeper, to hold more substrate for better moisture retention.

Using a pipette or blunt syringe, I water directly into webbing via air holes in enclosures. I feed them inverted, dropping feeders into web tubes or at the openings; it's very efficient.

I've only seen the slings come down to ground a handful of times and they have all molted in them once, both my 5i M1 avics and 2i C versi. They are now 6i and 3i l, respectively, although one of my C versi is now 4i. I think they will all be rehoused on next molt.