• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dividing an enclosure

corij

3 Year Member
somebody gave me a terrarium but its too big for a T 24 inch wide,18 high,12 deep . im thinking i could divide it in 2 , then perhaps put 2 T in it. my question is how would you divide it ,its made of glass . would you buy a piece of glass to divide it? then glue it in with silicone? any info on do and donts greatly appreciated

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
I don't know how you would do it, but I would definitely use glass or plexiglass and somehow fix it where you have two lids. Actually that isn't too big for a t. I have an L difficilis in a 20g long and it's great. If I were you, I'd just get a big t. :)

Thivo

3 Year Member
somebody gave me a terrarium but its too big for a T 24 inch wide,18 high,12 deep . im thinking i could divide it in 2 , then perhaps put 2 T in it. my question is how would you divide it ,its made of glass . would you buy a piece of glass to divide it? then glue it in with silicone? any info on do and donts greatly appreciated

Hello there... I am imagining now your terrarium as per the given sizes and it is nice you got it as a gift... Tgirl1010 suggestions is great, you can use a glass or plexiglass or anything you are comfortable with to use as divider... Or try to buy a big T's and make a good landscape in your enclosure... Or if you like, try to have a communal T's like the M.Balfouri, add some rocks and scattered more bark wood for their hides, and later on they will create their own terrain, webbings... I do really want to have a couple of this T's...

But if you really want to divide your tank... I suggest for you to use 1/4" thick acrylic glass which is more lighter than usual glass and it wont break easily... Use silicon to attached it into your enclosure and not any super glue or liquid cement... Reason: For you to easily remove the divider, just incase you want too... As for your lid, you can also use acrylic if you have more, make some holes on it, or use an 3" air screen vent... Click HERE.

I hope it will help you and now it is for you to decide :D...

Cheers...

Therasoid

3 Year Member
From personal experience, its a bad idea, I divided an enclosure years ago. Was fine for months, til one somehow managed to get into the other side. No death resulted but got them in separate enclosure quickly. They are stronger than they look and have nothing to do but roam and seek to escape.

Thivo

3 Year Member
From personal experience, its a bad idea, I divided an enclosure years ago. Was fine for months, til one somehow managed to get into the other side. No death resulted but got them in separate enclosure quickly. They are stronger than they look and have nothing to do but roam and seek to escape.
Hi there... I am just curious on how that happen... Maybe the division is not properly sealed, or maybe there is a gap in between the lids and divider... I am not saying that I am expert here and please dont get offend... I am just so interested to know how the T's manage to get through to another side, because by sharing your experience we will have an idea how does it happen and by this we can prevent those things to happen again or unto others, and thank you for sharing that experience for it gives a warning and for me to have a preventive measures...