• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diplurid Defeat

Mygalomorphic

I need to start posting about all of my successes as a keeper instead of when I have a problem. People are going to think I run an invertebrate death camp. I swear I actually know what I'm doing. Sometimes...

I'm doing something wrong with my Diplurids and I cannot figure out what. This morning I found my H. oiapoqueae dead. It was about 1.5" and I had gotten it as a tiny sling. I have also lost two Linothele species. All seem to do well and get to around an inch or more and then without any warning I'll just find them dead. The sling stage IMO is the most fragile so it seems strange to me that I am able to grow them up just fine and then lose them when they should be a bit more resilient.

I keep them in AMAC boxes with ventilation holes in the top and sides. Substrate is coco fiber or Reptisoil which I keep partially moist and there is a water dish although they web it up pretty quickly so I just end up spraying the web. As slings they were getting fed twice a week but as they got bigger I was doing only once a week. Generally mealworms or crickets. They were kept on the same shelf that all my T's and true spiders are on and they are all doing just fine.

I know it's next to impossible to figure something like this out but anyone who is keeping them successfully and would care to share how they do it would be appreciated.

MBullock

3 Year Member
High mortality is normal for all spiderlings, that's the whole reason they lay 400 eggs lol, only like 12 of those from the entire sac will make it. there are all sorts of unseen factors, it could just be very poor genetics and they had defects. It starts happening when inbreeding gets more extensive. it just takes longer. eventually you need fresh genetics.

Latest posts