• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Different types of feeders for a Blondi

Derbarbarian

Hey guys,

So I have a couple questions, I'm a fairly new Theraphosa blondi owner, I've been trying to feed her a couple different types of insects. I've tried both large crickets and large mealworms, I've found that the crickets are best, I've found that the issue with mealworms is that unless she pounces on them immediately which she's only done that once or twice they pretty much start to burrow immediately which they then get lost in the substrate. With that being said, I've read and been told that she really only needs to eat every 3 or so days, I was thinking about trying some large grubs, but I'm wondering if those would actually be too big for her? I was also considering horn worms which I know that those are also pretty large, so I wasn't sure if those might be too big as well? She's definitely not fully grown yet, I would say she has about a 7" leg span. This is my first blondi, my other tarantulas were a Mexican Red Knee and a Striped-knee tarantula, which large crickets sufficed for those. I'm just trying to figure out what the best thing to feed her would be. I've read that crickets, mealworms, etc. are great. I figured I'd ask on here as well to see what you guys would suggest. As always any input/advice is greatly appreciated. I included a couple of pictures of her below.

-Dieter

Attachments

• Blucher 1.jpg
    Blucher 1.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Blucher 2.jpg
    Blucher 2.jpg
    794 KB · Views: 43

Blackdog

Mine likes Dubias but they do burrow if not grabbed. I also have a red runner and a holloween hisser colonies started both of which won't burrow

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hey guys,

So I have a couple questions, I'm a fairly new Theraphosa blondi owner, I've been trying to feed her a couple different types of insects. I've tried both large crickets and large mealworms, I've found that the crickets are best, I've found that the issue with mealworms is that unless she pounces on them immediately which she's only done that once or twice they pretty much start to burrow immediately which they then get lost in the substrate. With that being said, I've read and been told that she really only needs to eat every 3 or so days, I was thinking about trying some large grubs, but I'm wondering if those would actually be too big for her? I was also considering horn worms which I know that those are also pretty large, so I wasn't sure if those might be too big as well? She's definitely not fully grown yet, I would say she has about a 7" leg span. This is my first blondi, my other tarantulas were a Mexican Red Knee and a Striped-knee tarantula, which large crickets sufficed for those. I'm just trying to figure out what the best thing to feed her would be. I've read that crickets, mealworms, etc. are great. I figured I'd ask on here as well to see what you guys would suggest. As always any input/advice is greatly appreciated. I included a couple of pictures of her below.

-Dieter
Hi
with burrowing feeders just crush the head and that will solve your problem.They will still make movement to trigger your tarantula eating them.
With bigger feeders you can space the feedings when you see that your spider abdomen is getting too plump too.
As for what type of feeder is up to you.Tarantulas don't need variety they will as good even on one type of feeder insects.I do feed only crickets to all my spiders as this is whats most readily available around me.
Regards Konstantin

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine likes Dubias but they do burrow if not grabbed.

Crush the heads & drop them on their backs. They continue to survive for well over 24 hours & do not burrow, plus when you drop them in on their backs, their feet move a lot & thus they are more likely to cause a good feeding response.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My 8.5 inch plus stirmi loves extra large black crickets & also enjoys large hoppers (locusts) But is not keen on roaches of any variety. My large LP is a black cricket-only girl.

Derbarbarian

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your Theraphosa is a stirmi and not a blondi. The major difference between the two besides lots of setae (hair) is that Theraphosa stirmi doesn't have setea on the Patella (knees).

Here's a photo of @Phil Theraphosa blondi for reference View attachment 68345

Not bad news at all, I don't mind being corrected at all, I appreciate the clarification. Would it be inappropriate to simply refer to it as a Theraphosa?

Derbarbarian

My 8.5 inch plus stirmi loves extra large black crickets & also enjoys large hoppers (locusts) But is not keen on roaches of any variety. My large LP is a black cricket-only girl.

Good info! I've thought about getting wax worms and trying those out, unfortunately I haven't found those for sale locally, and where I've found them online, the smallest quantity you can get is 250, which considering she only eats every 3 or so days would be a bit excessive as I'm not sure how long those will actually live for and how difficult it is to keep them alive. I had a couple of green tree frogs at one point and I used to get a couple of dozen crickets at a time for those and it was really hit or miss trying to keep them alive, sometimes I could keep them going for a few weeks other times they'd die off fairly quickly despite having a good enclosure, fresh food, water, etc.

Derbarbarian

I forgot to mention, I've seen people feed these feeder lizards and pinkie before, but I honestly don't have the heart to do that, being that I've owned lizards and hamsters, Guinea Pigs, etc. I just don't have the heart to feed those types of things to her. As much as I would LOVE to get a snake the whole feeding it mice thing is the one reason I've never actually got one, I know you can get frozen mice so you're not having to deal with live ones, I would still feel kinda guilty even though it's what they're bred for and it's the whole circle of life, it's just something I would feel guilty about.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Feeding a 7inch greedy tarantula every 3 or so days is asking for trouble.
I will suggest feeding once a week if using few small feeders(2 adult crickets) or once every 2-3 weeks if using larger feeders like dubia roaches.
Tarantulas doesn't have the need to be fed so often as they are very good at preservation of energy.
Regards Konstantin

AtomApple

Hi
Feeding a 7inch greedy tarantula every 3 or so days is asking for trouble.
I will suggest feeding once a week if using few small feeders(2 adult crickets) or once every 2-3 weeks if using larger feeders like dubia roaches.
Tarantulas doesn't have the need to be fed so often as they are very good at preservation of energy.
Regards Konstantin
Good to know, Ive been feeding mine giant dubia every other day. Ive just noticed that she has a collection webbed up inside the back entrance of her den.

Bugzrule

3 Year Member
I feed my large Ts Discoids (essentially the Florida legal Dubia) and Superworms. Although Superworms do burrow if the T doesn't eat it right away, they will pupate and reemerge as beetles in a couple of weeks, and the T will sometimes eat those when they appear.

Also, many people will sell T.stirmi falsely labeled as T.blondi, so that is something to look out for. As @Arachnoclown already said, the easiest way to identify between the two is look at the knees of the tarantula. T.stirmi doesnt have hairs on the knee, while T.blondi does.

Vulash

I feed my large Ts Discoids (essentially the Florida legal Dubia) and Superworms. Although Superworms do burrow if the T doesn't eat it right away, they will pupate and reemerge as beetles in a couple of weeks, and the T will sometimes eat those when they appear.

Also, many people will sell T.stirmi falsely labeled as T.blondi, so that is something to look out for. As @Arachnoclown already said, the easiest way to identify between the two is look at the knees of the tarantula. T.stirmi doesnt have hairs on the knee, while T.blondi does.

I would highly suggest crushing the heads of the superworms (or just pulling the head off) before dropping them in. Those that burrow can kill your T if it happens to molt or freshly after a molt.

Latest posts