• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did I do something wrong? :(

x_raphael_xx

Betelgeuse the H.maculata arrived 27th August, and hasn't eaten a thing. I've tried live and pre-killed prey.
Shes usually in her web tunnel, but she has been moving around as shes webbed and pooped, she was just never out when Iwas around. As far as I know she'd been drinking as I'd have to replenish the water often.
Yesterday she was walking around the enclosure and I tried feeding her. She would grab and hold the prey, but not bite and eventually let go. I left the cricket in, and she seemed to be satlking it the rest of the night.
This morning she was out but scuttled for cover as soon as I spotted her.
This evening I found her in a death curl.

I don't know if it was a sucking stomach issue, I haven't had a molt from her. She was a replacement for another on a past order that arrived in death curl (no blame on the vendor, everything else I've bought has been great).

Sucks
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ah too late, I've pinned her to display (my first attempt)

I did turn her over before I got to work. I couldn't see anything obvious amiss. Her fangs looked fine and no discharge or anything around her mouth.View attachment 60767
I wanted to sex it for you...looks like a male in your recent photos.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry for your loss Raphael. My two females are, as @Arachnoclown pointed, of a much brighter/lighter color as well. We can't see on the picture but do you have boxing gloves at the end of its pedipalps?
As we never know, if out of the blue you decide to fly over to the big apple, reach out and I'll be happy to gift you one of my females, for a pint!
P.S: looking at the enclosure, the substrate seems a little damp (mine thrive on bone dry) but I can't imagine it would have anything to do with the sudden death. Do not blame yourself, all things alive have to die at some point and sometimes they do without any obvious reasons.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At least I assume they mature a bit bigger.
Mine does seem a lot darker.
It has spent the last 2 months pretty much just hiding. I've only seen it out in the last couple of days, but it didn't really seem to be 'on the prowl'.
I've had males mature way before they should have. Sometimes 2-3 molts before their sack mates.

x_raphael_xx

Sorry for your loss Raphael. My two females are, as @Arachnoclown pointed, of a much brighter/lighter color as well. We can't see on the picture but do you have boxing gloves at the end of its pedipalps?
As we never know, if out of the blue you decide to fly over to the big apple, reach out and I'll be happy to gift you one of my females, for a pint!
P.S: looking at the enclosure, the substrate seems a little damp (mine thrive on bone dry) but I can't imagine it would have anything to do with the sudden death. Do not blame yourself, all things alive have to die at some point and sometimes they do without any obvious reasons.
I don't think they are boxing gloves, and I don't see any tibial hooks. I did think his pedipalps looked a little large when I was setting him out.
I haven't been watering the substrate, but its not really dried out in the 2 months the enclosure has been set up. Coco-fibre seems to take forever to dry out. I don't think it is damp enough to have caused any issue.
image0.jpeg

Thank you for the offer :) I'd love to visit NY again so I'll keep you in mind :)

MBullock

3 Year Member
lack of ventilation at the bottom may be the culprit. I dont see any vents for Co2 to escape, so it probably suffocated. It did make its retreat at the bottom, so that supports my hypothesis.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't think they are boxing gloves, and I don't see any tibial hooks. I did think his pedipalps looked a little large when I was setting him out.
I haven't been watering the substrate, but its not really dried out in the 2 months the enclosure has been set up. Coco-fibre seems to take forever to dry out. I don't think it is damp enough to have caused any issue.
View attachment 60770
Thank you for the offer :) I'd love to visit NY again so I'll keep you in mind :)
H. mac dont hook out. Not all tarantula males get hooks. Those look very bulby though...I bet he's got embolus.

x_raphael_xx

lack of ventilation at the bottom may be the culprit. I dont see any vents for Co2 to escape, so it probably suffocated. It did make its retreat at the bottom, so that supports my hypothesis.
The enclosure has cross ventilation, and there is a sizable hole where the hinge connects for the door.

image0.jpeg

x_raphael_xx

Once I'll get home I'll take a picture of my old male that I framed for my son. With a needle I flipped the palpal bulbs out.
I'm usually heavy handed so surprise myself with my first attempt at pining (pinning?)
I hope I can set him and frame him nicely without him falling apart.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm usually heavy handed so surprise myself with my first attempt at pining (pinning?)
I hope I can set him and frame him nicely without him falling apart.
He will not fall apart, but you would need first to "set" it then let it dry out in a space where bugs/flies cannot get to him. Be mindful as well that it is going to stink for a while. I usually work with molts which are a lot more difficult to work with but also do my males when dying of old age. I'll show you a few of my work this evening ;)

Latest posts