• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diatomaceous earth, roaches, & tarantula feeding

lawman123

Many of my roaches died due to diatomaceous earth. My roach bin once was a temporary hamster enclosure, which had diatomaceous earth. I know DE kills arachnids, so I washed and wiped the bin before putting roaches in it. 2 days later, I discovered many dead/dying roaches and more live roaches feeding off the dead roaches. Will the remaining living roaches that fed on the dead roaches still be safe to feed to tarantulas? Is airborne DE in small amounts a threat to tarantulas?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
DE is safe for mammals and fish and probably even birds just not exoskeletons and/or arthropods and stuff.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Once it dries back out it becomes dangerous to insects again. though not quite as lethal. anything that tries to molt around it will surely die

Also, wear a mask whenever you use the stuff, silicosis is a dangerous condition. Just one sneeze or cough while you're working with it and you'll get a cloud of it in your face.

also, because it's somewhat relevant- Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
DE - we used to use it at a tropical fish wholesaler years ago. It's an excellent filter medium. If I remember correctly, DE is actually crushed fossilized microscopic organisms. When crushed, the particles become super sharp. When whatever pest walks through it, it just cuts them up and they slowly bleed out. You definitely do not want to ingest any.

AS has been stated - start over. Not worth the risk to your spoods and a huge waste of feeders. What a way to go! I certainly wouldn't use anything that's ever had it in and I would euthanize what's been in there and start completely new. Safest way to go.....

Latest posts