• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Deinopidae

khatchet

3 Year Member
Has any one ever seen a Deinopidae for sale in the US. I have done some looking into it and can not find them any where.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
went to look at these guys , WOW! they are super interesting and those eyes!
Hope someone gets some and has success in breeding!

khatchet

3 Year Member
The common name of the exact spider I am talking about is the red back. Sorry I should have been more exact and put the whole Latin name.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
There's something I don't fully understand... Are you talking about the Deinopidae family? Or about the Latrodectus hasselti (= red back spider) from Australia (family = Theridiidae)?

As far as I know, there's nothing to fear (as humans! as flies, that's another story!) from the Deinopidae family. But if you speak about Latrodectus, yeah they can be dangerous under certain circumstances (bite by a female, the victim being in bad health or very young or very old, etc.).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The red back is truly evil looking. Has a bit more attitude than our American Latrodectus too. Gratz if you get one :) There's a pure red species of widow too, I forgot it's name, but it blows me away every time I see a pic of one, it's a really exceptional looking spider. The color pretty much screams go away :D