• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dead prey items

scn8ive

I have 2 G. Pulchra juveniles. 1 is 1" and the other is 2". Do they only eat live prey? I read somewhere that juveniles can be scavengers and will eat dead prey they find. But just because someone wrote it doesn't mean it's true. What do folks think about this?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I always opt for live as early an age as possible. Live prey stimulates a good feeding response.

Of course you need commensurately sized feeders to feed your Ts. You can't feed a live prey item larger than your T, and even when properly sized prey is offered, some Ts are intimidated by live prey that is "too large" for their comfort.

If you cannot locate appropriately sized live prey, like for tiny slings, then dead is fine. Spiders are opportunistic feeders that are not above foraging.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tarantulas will eat both dead or alive....I feed my 10.5" Theraphosa stirmi dead mice and geckos.
IMG-20180609-WA0000.jpg