• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Davus Pentaloris, are we underweight?

Sbirtell1

Yaweh molted just before November 5th. I waited a couple weeks and then fed her. She’s molted twice since I got her in February. I believe in May she was her plumpest and slimmed down since then. She’s had a couple meals since her last molt.

I try to feed her 4-6 crickets a week. She hides most of the time so with her I can’t do dubias because they either burrow too quickly or die shortly after the head is crushed. Any slight movement around her enclosure she won’t touch anything. Crickets last a bit longer plus she must hunt at night. I’ve never seen out during the day, unless I come home from work and I turn the light on in the room she’ll scurry away and hide.

I just want to know if she’s a good size? And not underweight? Thanks in advance… -Sarah

*First picture was taken today 11/27, second picture was back in May when she was plump. Video was taken today.

Attachments

• 16634FD9-79EF-462A-9229-AE3A0EBA3B0E.jpeg
    16634FD9-79EF-462A-9229-AE3A0EBA3B0E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 434FFFE2-C29D-45E9-B838-B6B6D8FB429E.jpeg
    434FFFE2-C29D-45E9-B838-B6B6D8FB429E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    27.1 MB

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Not underweight at all.
Looks like a healthy specimen.You don't want it to be obese.Abdomen slightly larger than the carapace is good rule of thumb.
If you are feeding adult crickets 4-6 a week is far too much.I have adult female that gets 2 adult crickets every 2 weeks and sometimes she eats only one of those and I remove the one uneaten in 24h( do not leavepray for longer than that)You can offer weekly meals but cut donwn on number of pray items(my biggest girls don't get 4-6 crickets a week and we are talking 8+inch spiders)and once she plumps up feed once every 2 weeks.
Regards Konstantin

Sbirtell1

Hi
Not underweight at all.
Looks like a healthy specimen.You don't want it to be obese.Abdomen slightly larger than the carapace is good rule of thumb.
If you are feeding adult crickets 4-6 a week is far too much.I have adult female that gets 2 adult crickets every 2 weeks and sometimes she eats only one of those and I remove the one uneaten in 24h( do not leavepray for longer than that)You can offer weekly meals but cut donwn on number of pray items(my biggest girls don't get 4-6 crickets a week and we are talking 8+inch spiders)and once she plumps up feed once every 2 weeks.
Regards Konstantin
Ok sounds good! Most of the time she only gets that much weekly (2-3). The rest die off, but there are times I can’t find any of them so she probably eats more than she should. Moving forward if anything that is not eaten in 24 hours I will remove! I was just paranoid because every time she molts she looks dehydrated. I provide plenty of water and the area around her water bowl stays moist. The rest of her enclosure stays pretty dry. I love both my kiddos so much, I don’t want them obese but I don’t want them malnourished either!!!

Thanks again! -Sarah

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
D pentaloris are not the largest of tarantulas and are on the shy skittish side.Sometimes they get intimidated by the multitude of vibrations excessive amount of feeder insects will make in the enclosure.They are walking sensory organ sort of speak.I will advise you to put no more than 2 feeders with her in future and if you suspect moult is nearing even prekill them as crickets will harm(kill) moulting tarantulas as they are attracted to the moisture.
Regards Konstantin

Sbirtell1

Hi
D pentaloris are not the largest of tarantulas and are on the shy skittish side.Sometimes they get intimidated by the multitude of vibrations excessive amount of feeder insects will make in the enclosure.They are walking sensory organ sort of speak.I will advise you to put no more than 2 feeders with her in future and if you suspect moult is nearing even prekill them as crickets will harm(kill) moulting tarantulas as they are attracted to the moisture.
Regards Konstantin
When I suspect she’s about to molt I don’t even try to feed her. I leave her alone.

Sbirtell1

Hi
thats the right thing to do but many keepers just can't help themselves and resist the feeding urge ;)
Regards Konstantin
Definitely me! Lol I feel bad if I don’t feed them and I feel like I’m starving them. My Grammostola pulchra is thick, she’s gonna need to slim down. I’m going to slowly cut their food down like you said. Thanks again!!! -Sarah

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
good job you don't have something like my Aphonopelma calcodes adult female. She refused food for 2+years before her last moult.
You will probably be worried sick.hahaha
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts