• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Darkling Beetle Picture Thread

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
This thread is for pictures of Tenebrionids, aka darkling beetles. Feel free to post pics of your ones as well!

Eusattus muricatus:
E.muricatus%25235.JPG

E.muricatus%25236.JPG

E.muricatus%25238.JPG

These guys are really cool, I am keeping them in a medium sized container filled with sand and coconut fiber, and they are eating dead leaves, dog food, and carrots. They are laying eggs, which are way bigger than any darkling beetles I have ever seen, so it's only a matter of time before I see any larva! They also do this coo thing where they bang their bodies up and down really fast on dead leaves or rocks and make a vibrating sound, like the "tok tokkies" darkling beetles of Africa. I assume they do it to attract mates.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Coelus ciliatus:
Coelus%25231.JPG

Coelus%25234.JPG

Coelus%25235.JPG

These guys come from coastal sand dunes in California, and need a sandy substrate. I am keeping mine in a medium sized container filled with sand and a little bit of coconut fiber. The are being fed dead leaves, dog food and veggies. Hopefully I can get these to breed, I don't know if anyone has successfully got this species to reproduce in captivity.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Embaphion muricatum larva:
Embaphion%25231.JPG

Embaphion%25232.JPG

Got these from Mastigoproctus on Arachnoboards, a really nice guy, wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again. :) Can't wait until these mature, this species is one of the most unique darklings out there!

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Yay, after a long wait, my Eusattus eggs have started to hatch! :D Found a larva in the cage today, it is too small for me to get a photograph of, but once it gets bigger I'll be sure to upload some pictures!

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
My Embaphion muricatum have been doing very well, and one has even matured! Here are some pics of them:

Pre-pupa:
Embappre%25232.JPG

Pupa:
Embappupa%25231.JPG

Embappupa%25233.JPG

Embappupa%25234.JPG

Embappupa%25236.JPG

This one looks like it'll mature soon:
Embappupa%25237.JPG

Teneral adult:
Embap%25231.JPG

Embap%25232.JPG