• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Damp Substrate

JeniHaas

3 Year Member
Im ready to upgrade one of my swiftly growing Ts to a larger tank. I use the substrate that they seem to like best. It comes in a brick - you have to soak it in water then allow it to dry out. I know moisture can harbor mold or mites so I am wondering if I should microwave it to try to dry it, let it try to sit in what little sun there's been lately, so just use the semi-damp substrate as it is. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What species are you re-housing? and if you squeeze the substrate, does water pour out, like with a spounge?
If it does, just let it dry for a couple days. another option is to mix some Peat Moss with the Substrate. Don't nuke it. Put it in the oven if you want to dry it quickly, and give it plenty of time to cool off. (3-5Hours)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I second spreading it out on a cookie sheet and putting it in the oven on low heat ~250 degrees?

Samuraisid

3 Year Member
My wife hates the smell of freshly roasted coco coir.

You should have luck finding bags of loose coco at garden centres. Also, its dirt cheap compared to prices at pet stores. I bought a 10kg bale of peat from Home Hardware for $8.99cdn. 11 months later and Im not even a quarter of the way through it. Compared to a single brick of coco from the lps, which costs $5.99 and is only enough coco for one or two adult enclosure.