• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Damarchus Workmani

Three spider's I purchased at a show just to keep because I've never kept a trapdoor thought would be something to change things up.

Came into the spider room one morning and see movement in two enclosures that hadn't moved in months and months. Long story short I have two mature males and one mature female.

I'm asking to see if anyone has bred these before or ones similar and for hopefully some tips on getting the female to drop a sack. Otherwise I'm going to follow the same steps if you will that I go with on my chilobrachys and Ornithoctonus as far as cooling her down ect,ect.

This morning will be male #1's third time in. Female had no aggression at all first two times but there was no was to see anything but his bum and tips of his legs white was working away. I sat and literally waited until he just sat out still and then hooked him out.

I rehoused the female a week after the second pairing into something that hopefully will let me get a better view if she is still willing. Hence why I'm dropping him in a third time.
I only have a rough guess on her last molt going by when the males matured because they all three wer the same size when I got them.
Thankfully the research to nail down exactly what I have and all that because I'm basically starting with an F0 breeding pair,was not to bad. Reclassified in 2010 I think could be later. That and the fact they are easy to identify from the other Damarchus.

Whatever happens I'll post the results. After today I'm going to feed her a couple good meals the next two weeks and then cool her down for 2 months let the enclosure dry during that time and then raise the humidity and temp up and hope that will work.
Totally not planned at all,but I can't sit and watch two spider's just act nuts and waist away without giving them an opportunity to do what is instinct I suppose at this point.

Three spider's I purchased at a show just to keep because I've never kept a trapdoor thought would be something to change things up.

Came into the spider room one morning and see movement in two enclosures that hadn't moved in months and months. Long story short I have two mature males and one mature female.

I'm asking to see if anyone has bred these before or ones similar and for hopefully some tips on getting the female to drop a sack. Otherwise I'm going to follow the same steps if you will that I go with on my chilobrachys and Ornithoctonus as far as cooling her down ect,ect.

This morning will be male #1's third time in. Female had no aggression at all first two times but there was no was to see anything but his bum and tips of his legs white was working away. I sat and literally waited until he just sat out still and then hooked him out.

I rehoused the female a week after the second pairing into something that hopefully will let me get a better view if she is still willing. Hence why I'm dropping him in a third time.
I only have a rough guess on her last molt going by when the males matured because they all three wer the same size when I got them.
Thankfully the research to nail down exactly what I have and all that because I'm basically starting with an F0 breeding pair,was not to bad. Reclassified in 2010 I think could be later. That and the fact they are easy to identify from the other Damarchus.

Whatever happens I'll post the results. After today I'm going to feed her a couple good meals the next two weeks and then cool her down for 2 months let the enclosure dry during that time and then raise the humidity and temp up and hope that will work.
Totally not planned at all,but I can't sit and watch two spider's just act nuts and waist away without giving them an opportunity to do what is instinct I suppose at this point.
Update. 3rd paring went totally different. Nothing at all from either spider.
The male actually walked with straight intent over to one of her vertical tubes,"she has a trapdoor and in each corner a vertical tube that you cannot even tell is there. I had no idea until I first paired them and the male found one and I just assumed he had went to the actual trapdoor".
He went right into a resting position and 45 mins later,I removed him. This is not the easiest breeding to do. It's very difficult to be able to see in and see if she's shutting the entrances off good or anything. I guess only time will tell.
So hear we go onto the next phase so to speak.

I'm going to sadly end this as not successful.
No idea what is going on,but I do know you do not unless it's a mature male on the go find your mature female trap door after almost two years just out sitting on the surface.
She has actually been hid in an area that I could not see here at all and I was having high hopes

Walked in the room to check on everything and seen her out. She's still out. I offered food she refused. I may be way wrong and I hope I am but my gut is telling me this is not looking good.

Thankfully I'm off work today so I can keep an eye on her.
I would not even have posted a breeding report other than I was really hoping someone could offer their experience with them because you cannot find any breeding articles on them at all.

Hagraven

I'm going to sadly end this as not successful.
No idea what is going on,but I do know you do not unless it's a mature male on the go find your mature female trap door after almost two years just out sitting on the surface.
She has actually been hid in an area that I could not see here at all and I was having high hopes

Walked in the room to check on everything and seen her out. She's still out. I offered food she refused. I may be way wrong and I hope I am but my gut is telling me this is not looking good.

Thankfully I'm off work today so I can keep an eye on her.
I would not even have posted a breeding report other than I was really hoping someone could offer their experience with them because you cannot find any breeding articles on them at all.
Hope she is okay! Egg sac or not. Good luck

Hope she is okay! Egg sac or not. Good luck
Thank you. She actually molted out. I had a section of moss in her enclosure that was more damp than the rest because I was letting things dry out to hopefully get her to drop,it all makes sense now. I never kept her molts logged because I never really had intentions to breed them until I had two males strutting around like Saturday night fever.

Hagraven

Thank you. She actually molted out. I had a section of moss in her enclosure that was more damp than the rest because I was letting things dry out to hopefully get her to drop,it all makes sense now. I never kept her molts logged because I never really had intentions to breed them until I had two males strutting around like Saturday night fever.
Glad to hear she is okay! Any pictures of her after molting? And do you think you'll try pairing again? I wonder if she'd be more interested now

Latest posts