• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cut superworms for tiny slings?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I may try my hand at raising smaller slings. So far the smallest I have worked with is about an inch .

For something smaller, say like the first few instars, would it make sense to slice up small segments of superworms so that it is easier for the slings to get to the softer insides? Messier for sure, but then you would not have to worry about moving/hiding prey.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I may try my hand at raising smaller slings. So far the smallest I have worked with is about an inch .

For something smaller, say like the first few instars, would it make sense to slice up small segments of superworms so that it is easier for the slings to get to the softer insides? Messier for sure, but then you would not have to worry about moving/hiding prey.
It will work. Small slings are scavengers and they will eat pieces of mealworms. Pieces, legs of crickets work too. In my case I would use 1st instar dubias or slightly bigger ones cut in half.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Ditto on the cricket legs. I don't like messing with slings that small but sometimes it's inevitable. The legs work great. Just remove/replace daily so as to keep any mold or mites away. I also use fruit flies but for the quality of nutrients they hold, the work is sometimes not worth it....

It's amazing the things we as keepers will do for our 8 legged fur puppies

Latest posts