• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom Made Enclosures "DIY"

khatchet

3 Year Member
Those are nice i want to start making my encloser. Could you tell me what tools you used to do all them

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
TOOLS:

Drill
Hole Saw
Table Saw or Acrylic Cutting Knife
Sandpaper- 80 dry sand, 600 wet sand, 2000 wet sand
Mapp Gas Torch
Tape
Weldon #3 or 4 or Methylene Chloride

So I cut my pieces to size. sand down the edges starting with 80 grit and moving my way up to 2000. This will hand polish your edges. They aren't 100% clear but they don't look terrible. I will then drill my holes and sand those down the same way.

I then start with the bottom and place the back on, I'll tape it into position and glue it and let it sit for a couple minutes. I'll the put the sides on and tape them into position, and glue those. I'll then tape the substrate barrier in place and glue it. It's much easier to glue it without the top on. Once that is done I'll glue my top on, aline my cover and then glue the hinges and hasps on. Put vents on done!

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
2 inch hole saw you can get for 6 bucks, but that's for a cheap one. The drill depending on where you get it can be 100 bucks, table saw a cheap one is 150 bucks, acrylic cutting knife is like 5 bucks, sand paper is 5 bucks for 80 and 600, I had to go to an auto parts place for 2000 and it cost me 15 dollars. Mapp gas torch was 40 bucks, Tape is 99 cents a roll, if you use electrical tape, weldon is like 15 bucks plus the applicator, which is like 2 bucks.

Benefits of being an electrician is, I have almost all of this readily available to me.

Now I have to find some way to incorporate some red LED lighting into them without making it look tacky. :p

khatchet

3 Year Member
Yeah ill have to get all the stuff. And for the light if you like scorpen you can put one them in a cage with the light and it look nice.

david harvey

3 Year Member
Nice enclosures will have too get my uncle to help me build one of those he's a carpenter and probably has all those tools already