• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom enclosure

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with you. All of my inverts are either in acrylic, glass or clear hard plastic for display. I have never tried DIY since there are so many good sources available that do it professionally.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with you. All of my inverts are either in acrylic, glass or clear hard plastic for display. I have never tried DIY since there are so many good sources available that do it professionally.
Alot of the premade big enclousers are 100$ and up which isnt bad for one T but when you have 6 and plan on getting more thats a bit costly. I want to try and make my own.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yep. Can be a big investment but with proper care, should last a lifetime. That is how I justify it. I use a 30 year ammortization schedule. Not bad then ;)

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yep. Can be a big investment but with proper care, should last a lifetime. That is how I justify it. I use a 30 year ammortization schedule. Not bad then ;)
welll if it lasts along time them its a good investment. Thats why i want to make my own something with a lower cost and will last. Because in the end of the day when payin 100$ per a enclouser most of that is labor fees.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i've added up the supplies to price out for a 12x18x12" enclosure. Just over half the price for the pre-cut acrylic, epoxy, hinges, etc. than you can get a custom made one online ($70 something to build if i remember the numbers correctly). Trying to decide if i want to just drill holes or try cutting in slots for the vents.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i've added up the supplies to price out for a 12x18x12" enclosure. Just over half the price for the pre-cut acrylic, epoxy, hinges, etc. than you can get a custom made one online ($70 something to build if i remember the numbers correctly). Trying to decide if i want to just drill holes or try cutting in slots for the vents.
Drilling holes might be easier. I think they use laser cuttters to make slots in the prebuilt ones. Or might be able to use a dremal. I like the idea of making my own. Save money and can have the build how i want it rathee then a premade one at a set size that i have to work around. Also 70$! for one that size is a great deal.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Drilling holes might be easier. I think they use laser cuttters to make slots in the prebuilt ones. Or might be able to use a dremal. I like the idea of making my own. Save money and can have the build how i want it rathee then a premade one at a set size that i have to work around. Also 70$! for one that size is a great deal.
that's the excuse to get me a new Dremel tool ;)

reason i'm going with 12x18x12 is 12" is the smallest i can find cut online. i was going with extruded rather than cast acrylic. it's cheaper and should work fine for an enclosure. Cool thing is it comes in colors, so i was thinking of doing like clear front, trop, and sides and colored back and bottom, but then the price jumps a bit.

So for all clear it's $2/sq ft. for .060" thickness (roughly 1/16", about the same as an amac box) and prices out like so-
2 pc 12x18" (front and back) - $16
2 pc 12x12" (ends) - $14
1 pc 12.12x18.12" (bottom) - $8.05
1 pc 12.25x18.12" (top w/front overhang to lift) - $8.08
Total for the acrylic $46.13 before tax/shipping.

Epoxy is one i'm not sure one. Do i want the solvent or reactive? Solvents dry faster, easier to apply, but the bond isn't as strong as the reactive. Reactive dry slower, have a stronger bond, and is good for filling gaps, but that hopefully won't be needed for this ;) But you need bright light for the reaction to create the bond. that's where i'm thinking the solvent would be better, i don't have access to lighting like it recommends for the reactive, plus it's cheaper ;) a 1 component 33 oz bottle of reactive cement is $86.53, a 33 oz bottle of the solvent cement is $55.59

So my memory was way way off. all totaled up it's $129.78 to ship to me. Prices from www.acrylite-shop.com

On the other hand, the similar sized built enclosure i was looking at on www.tarantulacages.com is $145 for a 12x20x12 so 2 inches more in length for only a few bucks more in price, and it's already put together, so i think i'll scrap the idea of building my own. I might do it just to say i made one, but for over $100 bucks and where i don't have the workspace i used to when i made baseball boxes, probably not a good idea ;) little too spendy for me to screw up.

Besides, i'd only need maybe 2 that size, for the genic and LP. I can't think of any other's i own that grow over 8 inches dls. so then i'd just have about 20 or so of the 8x8x16" ones for $105 :)

This hobby is almost as expensive as Golf and fly fishing! why am i always into the expensive hobbies? i need to find a cheap hobby now :p

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
I ordered my first premade acrylic from amazon today for $42 free ship for a 14.5"x9.8"x7.8" I'm hoping its sturdy since it is purpose built for T's not reptiles and it's not expensive. It's due here Thursday. I'll let y'all know my initial thoughts if ya r interested

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I ordered my first premade acrylic from amazon today for $42 free ship for a 14.5"x9.8"x7.8" I'm hoping its sturdy since it is purpose built for T's not reptiles and it's not expensive. It's due here Thursday. I'll let y'all know my initial thoughts if ya r interested

Which one did you get? I have a Dalle Craft that I like a lot. It is a kit though and there are lots of little screws to screw. Their 10" cube is $27 on Amazon.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Let us know what you think of it. I was looking at that one too. It seems there is a steep curve of thw pricing. They start out somehwat cheap for the smaller sizes but just a little larger size costs a lot more.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Happy Pet Acrylic Reptiles Terrarium Container Ideal for Reptiles or Amphibians 'Larvae Spiders Ants Scorpions Chameleon Lizard (14.5"x 9.8"x 7.8")

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J7RDM2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PZ.Hyb9A547XC
I have one of those. My smaller GBB is in it now. Decent enclosure but the thing i don't like is the rubber rings that hold it together. I'm going to replace those with wire. I'm scared the rubber will dry out eventually and break, then I'd have a spider on the loose. Also, be careful putting the rubber rings on to hold it together. the edges of the acrylic tabs are sharp and will break the bands. you may want to file those edges a little to prevent that.

Here's the Dalle Craft ones i've been buying lately. Same ones as @Metalman2004 described.

Out of the 7 of these i've recently purchased, 1 came with the wrong side, top, and lid pieces. The sellers are good to work with though and sent replacement pieces for free.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016XID0JA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Latest posts