• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curly haired molt recovery

nyteovvl

Everyone ,
When my curly hair molted, her shed carapace was shoved into the corner right in fron of her mat and she stayed right by it so I didnt try to retrieve it because I didnt want to stress out or otherwise disturb her fresh from the molt. She has now dragged the discarded skin to the left side of the tank since her sheqpioug9u8uumolt mat is on the right (shes in a 5 gallon rectangle tank) she only just molted last wednesday but shes moving around more. I keep the tank completely stress free but shes been walking around like shes recovered. Is this normal? Should I still wait about 2 weeks before feeding? Can I reach in and remove the old shed? This is very exciting fof me and I hope someone will answer my questions soon.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Congrats on the successful molt :) You can take the old exoskeleton out if you want, it shouldn't stress the T out too much.

You can feed your tarantula after its fangs are pitch black. The main reason for why we need to wait is that after molting tarantulas are very soft and fragile - Including the fangs. When tarantula molts, its fangs are white and rubbery, when they start hardening up they turn red and finally black.
Depending on the age (size) of the tarantula, this hardening up process may take from 2-3 days (small slings) up to several weeks, even a month (adults and large species). Just keep the water dish full of fresh water because that's what they need to get the fluid balance back up.

Tarantulas are smart animals though, an they usually won't take the prey if they're not ready for that. Your tarantula is already a relatively big juvenile so I'd probably wait for two weeks from the molt but if you happen to see the fangs being black after 1 - 1.5 weeks, you can try giving her something soft and juicy like a superworm, hornworm etc.. This will help your tarantula to regain fluids, and the soft prey won't damage the fangs by accident.

You may also see her being in weird positions (legs stretched as long as possible, pressing abdomen or legs against the enclosure wall etc.). This is perfectly normal :) The way I like to explain it is: You've been given new clothes that are size or two too small, but you must wear them. You know that if you keep stretching them they'll fit perfectly giving you full motility with barely any restrictions - but you feel that they're constantly getting more and more stiff. You realize that you have only a certain time window to stretch your clothes before the sleeves and pant legs won't stretch anymore - What would you do - Keep stretching them or just sit still and wait them to feel awful? :D

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats on the successful molt :) You can take the old exoskeleton out if you want, it shouldn't stress the T out too much.

You can feed your tarantula after its fangs are pitch black. The main reason for why we need to wait is that after molting tarantulas are very soft and fragile - Including the fangs. When tarantula molts, its fangs are white and rubbery, when they start hardening up they turn red and finally black.
Depending on the age (size) of the tarantula, this hardening up process may take from 2-3 days (small slings) up to several weeks, even a month (adults and large species). Just keep the water dish full of fresh water because that's what they need to get the fluid balance back up.

Tarantulas are smart animals though, an they usually won't take the prey if they're not ready for that. Your tarantula is already a relatively big juvenile so I'd probably wait for two weeks from the molt but if you happen to see the fangs being black after 1 - 1.5 weeks, you can try giving her something soft and juicy like a superworm, hornworm etc.. This will help your tarantula to regain fluids, and the soft prey won't damage the fangs by accident.

You may also see her being in weird positions (legs stretched as long as possible, pressing abdomen or legs against the enclosure wall etc.). This is perfectly normal :) The way I like to explain it is: You've been given new clothes that are size or two too small, but you must wear them. You know that if you keep stretching them they'll fit perfectly giving you full motility with barely any restrictions - but you feel that they're constantly getting more and more stiff. You realize that you have only a certain time window to stretch your clothes before the sleeves and pant legs won't stretch anymore - What would you do - Keep stretching them or just sit still and wait them to feel awful? :D
I sit down and my pants don't fit any more. perhaps I need to moult? ha ha :D:D:D

Tnoob

Everyone ,
When my curly hair molted, her shed carapace was shoved into the corner right in fron of her mat and she stayed right by it so I didnt try to retrieve it because I didnt want to stress out or otherwise disturb her fresh from the molt. She has now dragged the discarded skin to the left side of the tank since her sheqpioug9u8uumolt mat is on the right (shes in a 5 gallon rectangle tank) she only just molted last wednesday but shes moving around more. I keep the tank completely stress free but shes been walking around like shes recovered. Is this normal? Should I still wait about 2 weeks before feeding? Can I reach in and remove the old shed? This is very exciting fof me and I hope someone will answer my questions soon.
Are you new to the hobby? Is this a new pet? First molt?

Latest posts